Headroom CD33 and CD36

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tree

Headroom CD33 and CD36

Post by tree »

I would love to know what the standing headroom is in a CD 33 and a CD 36. I know it probably is "variable" depending on where you are in the cabin so let's say..... what is greatest measurement possible near the aft end of the salon table.

Thanks in advance!!!
jerryaxler

Headroom

Post by jerryaxler »

I'm not at the boat for an exact measurement, but I would guess 6'6-8"
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
grabhamb

Headroom in a CD 36

Post by grabhamb »

I have an '86 CD36 and have sufficient headroom to stand up straight along the center line of the salon. I'm 6'2" and may unconciously lower my head when below but standing under the main hatch I don't hit my head.
Bob Grabham,
S/V Hunky Dory
Regent Point Marina
Topping, VA
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

33 measurements

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

76.5" at aft end of cabin table.
75.75" at fwd edge of companion way.
74.75" in head.
70" at entrance to V berth.

I live aboard my 33 so let me know if there is anything else you need.

Jeff
tree

Post by tree »

OOOh ! thank you Jeff!....

As for other things that would be good to know, I've heard the v-berth bunk in the 33 is a bit on the short end. Perhaps you coud throw the tape measure out there for a second and put the matter to rest?

As far as the head room numbers you posted, ... sounds like there's plenty of room for my Leprechaun friend to dance on the grand piano :wink: I plan to put in the salon :?
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

V Berth

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Tree,
The V-berth on the 33 is a bit odd, because it's not really a V-berth. From the chain locker to the aft bulkhead along the port side it is 78.5". From the chain locker to the aft bulkhead along the center line is 71". I'm just about 6' and I try to sleep on the diagonal (with the filler piece installed) and that is 87" but I should be clear that unless you have the ability to sleep in a VERY straight line without moving during the night, that number is a bit misleading. I'm comfortable enough to sleep there, but the fact that 33's go for less than half the price of 36's GREATLY assists that. If they were anywhere near each other in price, I'd be uncomfortable, so read between the lines there. The plus side is that my wife is SHORT SHORT SHORT. Our occupations have us living apart for a year (isn't working the worst?), but when she visits I don't lose any space in the V-berth because of it's slightly odd shape. From my shopping experience I can tell you the 36 has more space for tall people in the forward berth. If you are 5' 10" or under, the 33 should be more than adequate.

Standing by for more measurement requests. And as far as Leprechauns, they should fit just fine. If they come with a pot of gold however, I recommend the Cape Dory 45.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Tree,

I can stand in the saloon of our 33 and tip back a beer without hitting the cabin ceiling. I am a tad over 6'. The weird port side "V" berth is really fine for me solo with or without the insert. For two of us, my wife is 5' 8", it is a little snug but still fine. We now sleep comfortably in the pull out port berth and throw our two boys forward.

I agree with Jeff, for the savings and operating cost difference from a 36, you can tip quite a few more high-quality beers, nay even single malts.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jeff and Sarah

Clarification

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I mentioned if you are 5' 10" or below you'd be comfortable on a 33- I should have been more clear, I was talking about sleeping in the V-berth. As far as moving about the cabin, you could be pretty darn tall and have no issues. These CDs have a ton of headroom, and that's one of the reasons I fell in love with them. I haven't lived aboard for incredibly long yet, only about a month full time- the 33 hasn't 'shrunk' on me at all. I never feel like I need an extra foot or two, and while I absolutely love the 36 and can see moving up to one someday, I am constantly finding myself thinking how happy I am that I decided on a 33.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Jeff,

I too find the space below on the 33 just right. Enough room to be truly comfortable while still forcing me to think a little about storage, keep me feeling I am more righteous than larger boat owners and challenging me to get by with less.

Plus, in a big seaway there is always something solid to grab within reach during each lurch forward, three good sea berths (after I sewed up a lee cloth for the starbrd' berth) and a usable galley in the short, steep chop that Lake Superior likes to dish up.

I have not lived aboard yet, but we have spent many contented days and nights aboard. She has accepted our two additions to the family and countless friends who are closer to us now that they have used the head in such close proximity. After nine seasons my wife and I feel no 3 footitis whatsoever. I can step aboard and be ready to sail in 10 minutes, throw in two reefs and handle just about any weather likely, attain 4 knots in ten knots of breeze and even smack the bottom without serious concern. Carl Alberg and CD got it right in so many ways.

The editors of Good Old Boat will not let me write a review as I am far too biased. However, I sure would love to get her some reliable self steering and new sails!

All the best,
Paul
CDSOA Member
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

Paul D. wrote:...I too find the space below on the 33 just right. Enough room to be truly comfortable while still forcing me to think a little about storage, keep me feeling I am more righteous than larger boat owners and challenging me to get by with less.

Plus, in a big seaway there is always something solid to grab within reach during each lurch forward, three good sea berths (after I sewed up a lee cloth for the starbrd' berth) and a usable galley in the short, steep chop that Lake Superior likes to dish up.

...some reliable self steering and new sails!
Your assessment sounds just right to me, and I'm glad to hear that it works out in practice.

You don't mention the rig, but I think the simplification/efficiency of the sloop rig, and no bowsprit, are also points in favour of the 33.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Duncan,

The masthead sloop rig does simplify things and helps light wind and upwind sailing with a 140% genoa. But I always kind of liked a yawl. I would like more helm balance in the 33 but I have 30 year old sails that are pretty bagged out. As it is I can usually get one spoke of weather helm. But I sailed an old S&S Tartan 34 that wind upwind all on her own. So I dream about achieving that someday.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

Post by Chris Reinke »

Tree - One other option is to consider the CD330 over the CD33. The CD33 has the additional quarter berth which is a great use of space, but the CD330 has a slightly longer V-berth, separate shower, and an elongated galley. We usually don't have a need for the additional berth so the CD330 meets our needs, while I know CD33 owners who think the CD330 was a terrible design failure. Just another option.
tree

Post by tree »

Thanks Chris for that information about the 330's. Very interesting! And the cockpit is a bit different as well (I've seen).

I'm still hoping to get CD 36 "measured" standing headroom.

Wouldn't mind getting CD 36 V berth measurments either.
Renova

36 a good fit for 6'2"

Post by Renova »

Tree...unfortunately, I can't measure up our CD36 at the moment...we've left her in French Polynesia for the season. But I can tell you that one of the criteria for purchasing her was head room. I'm 5'10" and John is 6'2", and neither of us wanted to spend time stooped over. After all, I manage to hit my head enough as it is!! Our 36 has great headroom throughout - but can't compare to a CD33, as I've never been inside one. Also, the v-berth is long enough for us, but John find the settee to be slightly longer, and if he is aboard on his own, he prefers to sleep there. Diagonal sleeping is definitely the norm, when we're both in the V.
Angela and Tom
prev. Typhoon "Dog Star"
Duxbury, MA

Post by Angela and Tom »

Chris Reinke wrote:Tree - while I know CD33 owners who think the CD330 was a terrible design failure.
What makes some CD33 owners consider the 330 a design failure? In many ways it seems to be an improvement. Especially engine access.

A