CD33 Holding Tank Problem

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

CD33 Holding Tank Problem

Post by Doug Oliver »

We have a most un-pleasant problem in our CD33. There is effluent from the holding tank ending up in the bilge. I went back and read the older posts on this subject and that was helpful but my question is this; when I lift the hatch in the cabin sole and look in to the bilge I see, near the bottom on the port side, a hole about the size of a nickel. I assumed that this is where the icebox drained but have now determined that's not so. The icebox drains through a different tube in to the bilge. So what does drain through this nickel size hole is from the holding tank. So why would this hole be there and would there be any problem in plugging it?
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Is the hole perfectly round like it has been drilled, or rough like it was caused from a puncture?
Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

Perfectly Round

Post by Doug Oliver »

I assumed it came that way from the factory.
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I don't have a hole like that in my bilge. Are you saying it is on the port side of the holding tank or the port side of the bilge wall?
Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

Post by Doug Oliver »

It"s on the port side of the bilge wall.
Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

Post by Doug Oliver »

But only a very short distance from the holding tank.
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

When I look down into my bilge, just ahead of the bulkhead for the holding tank, on both port and starboard sides, I believe I see the walls separating the bilge from the ocean. The only reason I might see a hole is if someone drilled through and installed a drain plug without a thru-hull fitting. Another option is a hole for installing a speed sensor, although ours is higher up and further forward. Our speed sensor also has a thru-hull installed.

Is anything flowing from the hole? Am I understanding the description correctly?

Is it possible that the hose from the head which comes along under the sole into the holding tank could be emitting odors in the bilge space?
Jeff and Sarah

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I'd imagine the hole could be a drain plug (I think some Hinckleys have them) but I would assume that it would have been noticed before.
Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

Post by Doug Oliver »

I saved the cork from a wine bottle we opened last night. I think the size will be just about perfect. Al, I too would think a hole in the side of the bilge would find salt water. Maybe a previous owner drilled the hole for some project they were doing then re-glasses the keel but not the bilge side.

Won't it be great if my September vacation is saved by a cork from a $9 bottle of wine.

Thanks for your input.