CD30K engine removal

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Watermark II

CD30K engine removal

Post by Watermark II »

I know that several of the CD30K owners have repowered or rebuilt their engines.

How much of a job was it to remove the YSE12 with V-drive?
Did you have to remove much of the galley?

I am planning on a complete rebuild, but it looks like engine is wider than the companionway openning.

Any experiences will be appreciated!

Andy
Watermark II
CD30K #2
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Raven has a Universal engine with a straight drive. She is also a cutter but I would imagine much of my experience would still apply.

I had to pull her engine last winter to rebuild the transmission. I also replaced the main seals in the engine, the oil pan and gasket along with engine mounts, cutlass bearing and hose.

Pulling the engine was very straight forward and much easier than I anticipated. I did the removal and re installation alone so I could take my time and be careful. I considered using a rather old back hoe but opted for an overhead beam arrangement with a trolley on it and a come along.

To get the thing out of the opening all I had to do was remove my sea water strainer and alternator. Once the engine was suspended a bit, the forward brackets for the engine mounts were taken off and the engine moved forward a bit. I then removed the rear brackets and it came right out.

I believe the engine is one thing Cape Dory did not build the boat around, Steve.
Joe Mac Phee

engine removal

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

Andy,

I rebuilt the YSB-12 in my 1977 CD-30/K several years ago. I do not remember removing any engine parts to get it out My boat has the v drive and I may have removed the v drive simply to get at the shaft and coupler.

The one fact that is imprinted in my memory is the weight of this little beast. I believe that the assembly is over 300 pounds!

I am not a mechanic and I did not find it difficult to rebuild. I had a great deal of help from Mack Boring in Middleboro MA to find parts. Parts may be your biggest obstacle.

Good luck,

Joe Mac Phee
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I went the re-power route 4 years ago. Getting the ysb-12 out is straightforward enough. To facilitate removal and installation of the new engine I dismantled the port side galley cabinets and counter top. This was not a big deal and made the engine work much more accessible and comfortable. The old yanmar was heavy so I removed what I could. When the new motor was delivered I had a local boat yard with a small crane come over, I think he charged 100.00 to lift out the old and set in the new.
Really compare the cost of a re-build vs. re-power, especially if you are not doing much labor.
The ysb-12 was reliable and frugal with fuel but noisy and a shake machine, as well as underpowered. I had no trouble selling it. good luck.
________
VAPOR GENIE