Shift lever on CD 28 Farymann installation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ben schifano
Location: 1975 Cape Dory 28, Hull#46 "Donnybrook" Rochester New York

Shift lever on CD 28 Farymann installation

Post by Ben schifano »

Can anyone out there with this unique engine installation confirm something for me? My transmission apeared to be slipping when first engaged in either forward or reverse. I asked my local marina to adjust the linkage. They had no info on that installation, and asked for all the literature that I had.....bad sign?. They adjusted the "clutch" and said the problem is resolved. Problem is, the original problem still exists, and it now takes two hands to move the shift lever. It actually feel like the lever's gonna break off. I have sailed this boat for ten years and it never took that much force to move the shift lever. If someone has this same engine installation out there, could you possibly verify the amount of force needed to shift this transmission when adjusted properly. I won't even disclose what they charged me for the "adjustment"............................Thanx
paul marko

Shifting lever Farymann diesel

Post by paul marko »

I have a 1977 c/d 28 which I bought new in 77. The Shifting lever and throttle advance are a Morse unit with the shifting lever to the inside . It has been less than Ideal ,when I shift into forward it increases the throttle. I have learned to live with this feature.

What has improved the shifting lever movement is taking the unit apart and removing one of the spacer washers between the levers, and greasing the unit with waterproof grease.

The other nuisance area is the pt. of attachment of the shifting cable to the motor. this requires adjustment to prevent any slippage or play between the end of the cable and the shifting arm on the transmission.

Other than this I like the Farymann and its performance.

best of luck Paul Marko