Anchorages in Maine

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

knots

Anchorages in Maine

Post by knots »

I am new to CDSOA and am seeking suggestions for overnight anchorages between York, ME and Tenant's Harbor, ME. I expect to join the Carver's Harbor rendezvous August 8. We leave Stonington, CT this Saturday, July 17.
Craig & Joan Rowley
19 Summit Street
Stonington, CT 06378
Klem

Post by Klem »

Maine has an amazing abundance of good anchorages. The trouble with a lot of them is that they are way up rivers and bays and take a lot of time to get to if you are trying to make good time. If you are traveling during the week, you will have the pick of most of the anchorages but on the weekends, there may not be room in some of the real popular spots. Some places that I would consider include Peak's Island, Chebeague, Boothbay, Linekin Bay, Port Clyde. If you are looking for full service marinas, then this is not the best list but they are all places that you can anchor and go ashore and are pretty well protected.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi knots,

As Klem mentioned there are LOTS of great harbors to pull into along the Maine Coast. Before you leave the dock, be sure to purchase a copy of the following cruising guide:

A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast , by Hank and Jan Taft and Curtis Rindlaub

There's an online version too. Here's a link to the section on the New Hampshire and southern Maine coast: http://www.mainecoastguide.com/r1/r1.html
But the book is a must.

GOOGLE search on "A Guide to the Maine Coast Taft"

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

As Cathy mention the Crusing Guide to the Maine coast is almost essential if you are cruising in Maine, more so if you are new to its coast. The online version is only a teaser and would not be very helpful even if you have internet access onboard. I travel between Boothbay Harbor and Tenants Harbor several times a season and there are too many anchorages to list all with various advantages and disadvantages. What are you looking for? A few of my favorites are Five Islands (mostly moorings, some free) not too far up the Sheepscott and a lobster dock at the town landing. Lewis cove at the top of Linekin bay, room to anchor outside of the mooring and a resturant to dinghy to. Seal Cove up the Damriscotta, no facilities but very well protected and beautiful. New Harbor and Round Pond on the east side of pemequid point. Hog Island, the Audubon society has several mooring and an island to explore. Harbor and Hall I in the middle of Muscongus Bay. Meduncook River past Friendship north of Crotch I, very well protected and quite, no facilities. Haven't scratched the surface, you need the book.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Carl Thunberg

If you're starting from York

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I see you're coming from Stonington, Connecticut. Since you specifically asked for anchorages between York and Tenants, I'll presume you're planning a stop at York. I have some specific suggestions for your consideration. For the sake of argument, I'll assume you're looking for convenient anchorages that are each a day-sail apart from the other, and that you'd prefer not to travel too far up-river to get to them. I'm also assuming for the sake of argument that you'd prefer anchoring over paying for a mooring.

Wood Island Harbor (Biddeford) is a decent day-sail from York. When the wind is against the tide, the boat can rock quite a bit at night. I've had some uncomfortable night's sleep there, but it is very safe. Biddeford Pool Yacht Club has moorings if they're available.

If you want to put a few more miles behind you on the first day, I'd suggest Cliff's Island as a destination for your first night. Cliff's is right next to Jewell Island, but isn't as crowded. Jewell is beautiful, but don't even think of trying to anchor there on a weekend.

If you made it as far as Cliff's, then you can make it to Tenants Harbor in one fairly long day. If you only made it as far as Wood Island Harbor, you'll need one more anchorage in the mid-coast rivers area. I think Joe's suggestion of Lewis Cove would fit nicely into this itinerary. Seal Cove on the Damariscotta River is a wonderfully secluded anchorage, but you do need to travel a ways up-river to get to it.

Tenants is an easy day-sail from either Lewis Cove or Seal Cove. I hope this is helpful. As the others have said, there are lots of potential anchorages along the way. You can also do the trip in one long passage, too. It all depends on what you hope to get out of the journey.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Carl Thunberg

Oops. Just Noticed. Too Late.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I just realized you departed three days before I posted my suggestions. Well, hopefully someone else might find them helpful.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton