Memorial Day, Sunday, 30 May 2010

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Memorial Day, Sunday, 30 May 2010

Post by Sea Hunt »

I understand this discussion board is intended for discussion of Cape Dory sailboats and related issues, etc. I am hopeful the moderators, web administrators, etc. will indulge the below exception.

I take this opportunity to respectfully request that during this Memorial Day weekend you take time to remember our men and women in uniform - past and present. Regardless of how you may personally feel about any particular part of our country’s foreign policies, those who voluntarily serve this country are truly our blood and treasure - as they have always been. They have earned our respect and gratitude. This coming weekend, those who have given all especially deserve our respect and our remembrance.

35-40 years ago those who served and came home alive and those who served and died in the rice paddies of Vietnam were far too often wrongly vilified for a policy and politics they had nothing to do with. They were serving their country -whether enlisted or drafted. Thankfully, today almost all Americans rightly separate their personal political feelings from their wish to honor and recognize the service and supreme sacrifice of our young men and women.

Whether you do so on the traditional Memorial Day on Sunday, 30 May, or on the designated day, Monday, 31 May, please take a few minutes, or longer, to remember what so many have given and sacrificed over the past 230-plus years of our Nation’s history.

Thank you.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
jepomer

Memorial Day Thoughts

Post by jepomer »

Well said.

John
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Memorial Day

Post by Oswego John »

Well said, Robert.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
renmihalov

Hold on!

Post by renmihalov »

[img]35-40%20years%20ago%20those%20who%20served%20and%20came%20home%20alive%20and%20those%20who%20served%20and%20died%20in%20the%20rice%20paddies%20of%20Vietnam%20were%20far%20too%20often%20wrongly%20vilified%20for%20a%20policy%20and%20politics%20they%20had%20nothing%20to%20do%20with.%20They%20were%20serving%20their%20country%20-whether%20enlisted%20or%20drafted.%20Thankfully,%20today%20almost%20all%20Americans%20rightly%20separate%20their%20personal%20political%20feelings%20from%20their%20wish%20to%20honor%20and%20recognize%20the%20service%20and%20supreme%20sacrifice%20of%20our%20young%20men%20and%20women.[/img]

The divisive paragraph above is counter productive and has no place in the commemoration of our war heroes. The tea baggers of that era are the ones that fostered the erroneous notion that the opponents of the war did not respect the contribution of our war heroes. Then as now, "almost all Americans rightly separate their personal political feelings from their wish to honor...."

Where's Cathy and Sea_Runt?
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md
Bibster

Rennie, I assume you meant to say "tea partiers,"

Post by Bibster »

but given the prevalence of tea baggers in P.G. County, I can certainly understand how you might slip up like that. Thank goodness you weren't being divisive, or anything. :roll:

Yes, where are Cathy and Sea_Runt, indeed?

By the way, Sea Hunt, I appreciate your post.

R. Bibby
Annapolis
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Ahmen Brother.....

Post by Michael Heintz »

Ahmen Brother.....

You got that Right!!!!!!
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
WaywardWind

Thank you

Post by WaywardWind »

Thank you. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Bob Ohler

Rennie... You are the divisive one here.

Post by Bob Ohler »

By using the phrase "tea bagger," you have in effect taken a honorable post here and turned it political and divisive. Very sad to see.

Bob O.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
renmihalov

I should have let this alone

Post by renmihalov »

You're correct. As I mentioned in a pm to Sea Hunt, I should have just left this alone.

However, in my defense Wikipedia offers this with respect to Tea baggers:
"The activity has become more prominent in the media, and the term is used to describe the Tea Party movement as a form of ridicule, or by some members themselves."

I would be glad to remove my post, however, it would probably leave an even odder trail.

rennie
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Robert

Post by Jim Davis »

Well said and this old Vet thanks you for your remarks and sentiment.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
oldragbaggers

Thank You Sea Hunt.

Post by oldragbaggers »

We share your sentiments.
Thank you.
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

End of thread....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I think we're all in agreement that on Memorial Day we should take the time to remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Thanks to Sea Hunt for reminding us. That said, this is not a political forum. I'm not going to remove it but I am ending it here. If anyone would like to discuss politics, try forums like: http://www.politicsforum.org/
http://www.politicalforum.com/
http://www.debatepolitics.com/
http://www.arguewitheveryone.com/
There are lots, just GOOGLE "political forum" and pick one.

- Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.

PS: By the way, I only use my computer once per day, usually after lunch. And I don't read every post. So, if you want or need to bring anything pertaining to this message board to my attention, please send an email to webmaster@capedory.org. But you still won't hear from me until the next time I turn on my computer and after I've had my lunch.