Broken Step, Ouch!!!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Daniel Owen
Location: "VICKY LEE" CD 27, 1977, Hull #21, Port Townsend, WA

Broken Step, Ouch!!!

Post by Daniel Owen »

Just completed my first week long, single handed cruise on the Vicky Lee (see trip info on Cruiser's Corner) The only issue that came up was the top step/engine cover broke/cracked in half as I was going below during the trip. Luckily I caught myself as I slid down the steps on my backside. A little sore but no worse for wear. My 4 1/2 pound Yorkshire Terrier/Toy Poodle mix companion named Kirra would have had trouble calling for help had I been knocked out. Needless to say it could have been much worse. The 33 year old hard wood step/cover is 7/8" thick and it broke along one of the 1/4" saw line depressions cut into the step for traction. I have obtained a 1 1/4" piece of Philippine Mahogany to build a replacement and will let in a couple strips of 1/4" brass key stock on the front lip to enhance traction. I saw this application on the Lady Washington, the Washington State's sqare rigger. Any one else had a similar step failure?

Cheers Dan O...............
Dan O..............
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

Never had the step failure, but when I first got Glory I had a similar mishap. A mechanic had been working on the diesel and put the steps back that cover the engine opening. He neglected to swivel the wooden chocks that hold the steps to the fiberglass liner.

I innocently started down the steps and took quite a tumble. It did have the benefit of me checking that the steps are really secure before starting down them, and double checking if anyone else has been working on the boat.
Ron Churgin