three strand rope

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

BrianW

three strand rope

Post by BrianW »

I've been doing some re-rigging on my CD28 and have been chipping away at it each spring.

Last year I replaced the halyards. For this I used Stayset as I felt it was important to have a relatively low stretch line.

This year I'm in the process of switching to a roller furling genny and I'd like to replace my mainsheet and get some new genoa sheets. I prefer the look of traditional line and the ease of working with it. R & W sells some low stretch buff colored three strand rope. I'm just curious if anyone uses 3 strand for sheets. I know there will be more stretch than braided line but I was thinking that might actually be a good thing for spilling wind in a gust.

Any thoughts or expieriences? Does 3 strand work well with self tailing winches?
s/v CATALPA
1986 CD28 #385
Dartmouth, MA
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Wait a minute here, you want the traditional look of three strand lines but you have self tailing winches? I want to see nothing but traditional bronze with that three strand!

Just busting you and I have no idea how it works out as I have all braided line and non self tailers so I couldn't know less. I do miss the easy and joy of splicing three strand though. I still use nylon three strand for anchor and dock lines where I want stretch. I would think the right fiber in three strand would be a fine choice for your sheets.

But like I said I have no actual experience with your combination, Steve
Klem

Post by Klem »

I have never like using three strand with winches because it tries to unlay and twist on the winch under strain. It also rides a little funny on the self tailer. It would work but I think braid would be better.
Dick Villamil

3-strand sheets

Post by Dick Villamil »

Why would you EVER want to use 3-strand sheets - once you pull on them in heavy wind you will regret it. Also, the 3-strand tends to stiffen in the sun faster because it has no covering to protect from UV as does braided line. Get the fuzzy coated braided dacron - easier on the hands - I use this for all sheets on both of my boats and really like its ease on the hands. I use 3/8" and 7/8" Staset X for halyards (after removing the stiff 3-strand dacron). For My Ty the 3/8" fuzzy sheets are perfect. I like color coding so the spaghetti factory in the coc kpit is easy to untangle.