Endless line headsail furlers

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Endless line headsail furlers

Post by Warren Kaplan »

My furlex headsail furler is getting a little long in the tooth and I may want to replace it. Also, I HATE when the damn thing jams with a line override just when the wind pipes up and I really need to get the sail furled.

I've been intrigued by the endless line, or continuous line headsail furlers (and now for other sails too) for a long time. Mainly because it makes line override jams just a bitter memory. Does anyone have any experience with them? Any comments as to pros and cons vs. traditional single line furlers? Furling line rigging and routing to cockpit? etc.?? Sail modifications?

Thanks
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

I had a Hood 810LD on my last boat and loved it. I got it used of fa bigger boat because the owner was afraid it would slip while reefed. I sailed with it for 5 years and never had any trouble with it. Just cleat both ends of the line when you reef.
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Warren,
We sailed with a neighbor who had the "endless" line type of roller furler until the line parted. He was unable to make a long splice and would have lost the use of his furler for the remainder of his cruise had it not been for a friend with a very long spare line aboard.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where it was 92F yesterday), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Endless line furlers may not be the way to go. EVERY owner that I know would love to ditch his endless line furler. i'VE SAILED A FEW AND DISLIKE THEM ALL.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

rtbates wrote:Endless line furlers may not be the way to go. EVERY owner that I know would love to ditch his endless line furler. i'VE SAILED A FEW AND DISLIKE THEM ALL.
We also have a friend who despises his end-less line furler! There is absolutely no way that he can use his jib partially furled and he always comments on how easy our ProFurl system is to use.

The key to avoiding drum wraps is to ensure two things:
a) the nearest lead block is properly positioned so the furler line is perpendicular to the middle of the drum (an absolute must if the drum does not have a "lead-arm");
b) always maintain slight tension on the furler line when unfulring the sail.

If I had to replace a furler, it would definitely be with another ProFurl.

-mike & Toni
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Good information and thanks for the replies. As far as override wraps, I always keep tension on the line both furling or unfurling. Of course every once in a while a gust of wind hits when I'm doing either one and there has been occasions when the gust was so sudden and powerful that it yanked the furling line out of my hand. Result....many times an override. Not so often when I'm furling the sail as I lead the furling line through a jam cleat which most often prevents the line running free even if I lose my grip. The trouble usually happens if I lose my grip when unfurling the sail.
Don't get me wrong. It doesn't happen very often but even once is a royal PIA. :cry:
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Warren,

We replaced our Hood LD continuous line furler in 2008. We could not reef the headsail at all with that unit, it always slipped. Other than that, it was fine.

We now have two new Schaefer units (not continuous line), and we love'em.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
mahalocd36

put us in the no LD furler camp...

Post by mahalocd36 »

Mahalo came with Hood LD furlers on the staysail and yankee. HATED them. Could not wait to throw them overboard at the end of the first season. (Actually, we sold them on ebay ;-) ) Couldn't reef - would slip; and probably particular to Mahalo but the lines weren't lead through blocks, just fairleads, and there was a lot of friction in the line. So that part could have been improved - still have the reefing issue though, which to me is part of the point of having a furler.

We replaced them with Profurl and love them. Had one line override/jam once with operator error.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Russell

Post by Russell »

My old Catalina 30 had Hood continuous line furlers. I actually rather liked them and reefing was never an issue (summer sailing on the chesapeake). But for more serious sailing I would never trust one, I am a die hard Schaefer furler fan now.

With a properly setup furler line override should never be an issue. Since you are good about keeping the line tensioned then I would suspect the entry angle is wrong. So many boats I have seen are setup with the first block going from the furler in a convienent place, not the right place. The angle the line enters the drum is critically important, I would examine that.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
pedbed
#326 Mahalo

Hood LD

Post by pedbed »

In order to have these work properly for reefing the correct cordage must be used. It specifically states in the owners manual the mfg and which product. I believe it is Yale but forget the particular model of cordage.

We have had no problem reefing in 10 + years and thousands of miles of sailing, but the line must be cleated off.

Aside from loosing the bushing at the top of the extrusion at one point I have found our Hood LD system to be very easy to furl-almost effortless.

The only knock on it is that if you have a white sun shield you have to make sure the sail gets furled properly since it can be furled in either direction.

Fair Winds,

Brian
CD 28 #326 "mahalo"
CS 36T "mahalo"