CD 25 Ice box Repair

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

CD 25 Ice box Repair

Post by Scott MacCready »

I picked up a 1974 CD25 project earlier this winter. Had been sitting neglected for quite some time. With the weather getting milder the past few days I tackled a few jobs. I completely gutted the interior, scrubbed out all the mold and mildew, and began some repairs. Today's project was enjoyable so I thought I'd share some pictures.

The ice box lid which also serves as the companionway step was crushed/cracked beyond use. I initially considered just covering it over with plywood and calling it a day but decided to attempt a more fitting repair. Here's the before pictures:

I built a male plug out of plywood in the shape and size to form a new piece:

After first saturating the surface of the plug with wax (actually soap...the local store was out of mold release), I applied many layers of fiberglass matting saturated with West Systems Epoxy. I was having trouble getting the matting to stay adhered to the shape of the plug so I decided to attempt vaccum bagging it. I've read about it before but had never tried it. I wasn't sure how it would turn out only using a very primitive set-up....my shop vac and an extra large trashbag:

I was surprised how well the setup worked. After it dried, the bag came right off easily. The next pictures show the finished result. It's still too cold outside to bond it in place but I'm pleased with the results so far.

Next project...rewiring.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Nice Job! Thanks for the pics
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

CD 25 Ice Box Repair

Post by Oswego John »

Scott,

Great job, looks real good. Doing it yourself saved you megabucks.
The project is something that you just can't go out and buy in a store.

The vacuum bagging worked well for you. Congrats. Below is a tip that I have used to make fiberglassing conform to curved or irregular surfaces.
I was having trouble getting the matting to stay adhered to the shape of the plug so I decided to attempt vaccum bagging it.
After the fiberglass is wetted down, in areas where it keeps lifting from the base surface I have cut wax paper in small squares, laid the squares on the wetted glass and secured the glass flat with the use of thumb tacks or push pins.

When hardened, the wax paper peels off easily and it is easy enough if any epoxy or poly touch up is needed.

We will be eagerly looking foreward to seeing more pictures of your progress.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Post by Scott MacCready »

Thanks for the tip OJ, hopefully I'll be able to remember it next time I need it
Annie Ward

Post by Annie Ward »

Hey Scott!

We have the exact same problem with our '73 CD25 project boat. How much do you charge? :wink: Kidding - but we will be studying these pics when we attempt our own repair - thanks!
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

cd 25 icebox

Post by Alan Holman »

Thanks for info and the pictures. I'm facing a similar job, but I'm planing on doing a rewire first, but not until after the ice and snow are gone. I'm hoping you will make notes and take pictures of your rewiring project, and share them with the rest of us. I need all the confidence builders I can find as a boatbuilder/handiman I, most certainly, am not. But, I'm game to try anything, working on the premise what I screw-up somebody, some where will be able to fix it. And who knows, maybe I won't screw-up too badly.
Again thanks Scott, looking forward to more helpful pics and info.
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!