Repairing teak on a Typoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

edsanford

Repairing teak on a Typoon

Post by edsanford »

Over the winter the starboard cleat was bumped resulting in a fracturing of the board that runs the length of the cockpit. The broken piece is about 1" x 15" and it split at the holes that the cleat bolts were in. I think that it can be repaired with some type of adhesive. I would appreciate suggestions from a carpenter sailor.

Ed
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

In general, you want to use epoxy to graft a new carefully shaped teak plug into a corresponding carefully shaped hole in the old coaming (there is a term for this but it escapes me so I'll just say "graft"). I would need to see the split to be more specific. Can you post a photo?
edsanford

Teak Coaming fracture

Post by edsanford »

I have pix of problem, but I don't how to attach.

Ed
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

the coaming on my starboard side also split, but more like in half lengthwise. i used west system epoxy to glue the two pieces together as the break was rather clean. still holding after ten years!
tartansailor

Repairing A Split

Post by tartansailor »

Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

With a drilling fixture and a long bit you could reinforce the glued split with dowels, screws or threaded rods. The holes could then be bunged to become almost invisible.

The butterflies are the accentuate instead of hide approach. I wonder if a fish shape could be developed to do the same job, Steve.
Jim Buck

Teak repair

Post by Jim Buck »

Ed,

Steve is giving you good advice. I've had luck with cleaning the newly exposed wood with acetone to help remove the natural oils of teak and then applying a thin coat of epoxy to each surface. I use clamps then to pull the two pieces together, not overly tight, just enough to close the gap and get the excess epoxy to squeeze out. Then using acetone I wipe up the excess squeeze out of epoxy. A little sanding and you're ready for finish. I think the epoxied joint is stronger than the lateral shear strength of the wood fibers. Hope this helps.

Jim
Jim Buck
Member #1004
bifcondor
Location: 1971 typhoon weekender #137, "commander's moon" Biscayne Bay, FL

Re: Repairing teak on a Typoon

Post by bifcondor »

edsanford wrote:Over the winter the starboard cleat was bumped resulting in a fracturing of the board that runs the length of the cockpit. The broken piece is about 1" x 15" and it split at the holes that the cleat bolts were in. I think that it can be repaired with some type of adhesive. I would appreciate suggestions from a carpenter sailor.

Ed
I think this board is your combing board. I split mine while removing it to refinish. I just glued it back together using wood glue and some clamps. Then did the stripping and varnishing and she is like new. West Marine sells teak plugs that you can use to fill holes, again using wood glue, if you find the need.
edsanford

Fractured teak combing board on Typhoon Day Sailer

Post by edsanford »

Thanks to all for sharing several terrific approaches to making the fix. Have a great sailing summer.

Ed