Charleston, SC

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

DocJoe
Fair Haven, NJ

Charleston, SC

Post by DocJoe »

Any input, pros and cons, with respect to marinas in the Charleston, SC area?

Thanks!

Joe
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I stayed at 2 of Charleston's marina's last fall on the way to Florida.
Sorry, don't recall the name, up the bay just to the right of the intercoastal route and past the CG station. Large privtate marina with good facilities, but pricey.....at least for transients.
Also stayed at the municipal marina on the other side of town opposite the Yorktown. I don't know if they have permanent slips but the cost was much less with decent facilities.
Really had a good time there and enjoyed the city.
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA STRAINS
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

We kept a CD25D at the City Marina for a few years and enjoyed the facilities and proximity to town. It is on the Ashley River just upriver from the Coast Guard Station. The marina at Patriots Point (near the Yorktown) is also okay as well as the municiple marina near the aquarium.
I like the side of town that the City Marina is on in that we could walk down to the Battery and walk through town fairly easy. There is a restaurant on site. There is less boat traffic and a little more protection from being rocked so much. Also, the trolley runs through town from there. The Mount Pleasant side is close to some places to eat but it still may be a mile walk or so.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Bob B.
lancaster, SC
Annie Ward

I live in Charleston

Post by Annie Ward »

I live in Charleston. The Charleston City Marina on the Ashley just up from the CG station will be the most convenient for you to get around town. It's up-to-date, has all the amenities, is relatively affordable, has a shuttle service, and is walkable to downtown. We have a cruiser friend who is staying there now and loves it.

The Charleston Harbor marina on the Cooper River next to the Yorktown is very nice but relatively isolated for someone without a car.
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241