CD 30 ft. Cutter- - Hatch Covers and Dual Purpose Batteries

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

petes

CD 30 ft. Cutter- - Hatch Covers and Dual Purpose Batteries

Post by petes »

Hatch Covers. Were these covers ever clear or like mine after many years of service always opaque?

Dual Purpose Batteries -- I have to replace my engine starting battery before launch this spring. and wondered if any one had experiences (good or bad) with this new type of Hybrid battery.
Stan W.

Re: CD 30 ft. Cutter- - Hatch Covers and Dual Purpose Batter

Post by Stan W. »

Hatch Covers. Were these covers ever clear or like mine after many years of service always opaque?
The hatch lenses are tinted, not clear, but you should be able to see clearly through them. Usually you can restore them with a car or boat wax that has a mild polish in it. In really bad cases, you might want to try one of those headlight polishing kits they sell at auto parts stores.
Dual Purpose Batteries -- I have to replace my engine starting battery before launch this spring. and wondered if any one had experiences (good or bad) with this new type of Hybrid battery.
Dual purpose batteries aren't that new; West Marine has sold them for at least 20 years. They're better than nothing, but they're really intended for smaller boats with only one battery and small house loads. Personally, I would keep a dedicated starting battery and if my house battery wasn't lasting long enough between charges I would increase the capacity of my house battery bank rather than trying to use the starting battery to back it up.
petes

Hatch covers and Dual Purpose Batteries

Post by petes »

Hi Stan,
Thank you for your assistance and recommendations.
Pete S.