Tri color mast head light / AIS system

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Steve Laume

Tri color mast head light / AIS system

Post by Steve Laume »

With only so much boat money to go around here is the question.

If you were to chose one or the other, which would ensure more safety when sailing off the coast or doing a passage at night?

Raven already has a pair of radar reflectors and lots of foil faced mylar film insulation inside her hull. I have LED running lights that I would continue to use near shore.

So how good are the current AIS transceivers? Are people currently using them and how are they working out in your situation? Is it still too early to buy? I am thinking better units and lower prices.

The AIS could be added at any time but the mast is down right now so this is the time to run wires if need be. I suppose I could run the mast wiring and just leave the ends at the mast head.

So what are the thoughts on the AIS stuff at this point, Steve.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

We've always had a tri-color for sailing and separate lower lights for motoring. With a tight budget, I will only buy (in the future) LEDs for the mast-head and anchor lights. With the diesel on, I can't justify the cost of LEDs for running lights.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
eb1smith
s/v Larissa

AIS works well.

Post by eb1smith »

I have a Milltech SR 161 AIS receiver wich feeds AIS information into my chartplotter. It works very well for this gives me an opportunity to "see" the other traffic and be proactive rather than being passive and waiting to see what the traffic is up to. I have a rail mounted antenna that could work as a backup for the mast mounted VHF one as well. You only want to have one antenna on the mast for interference reasons. Even with the antenna low on the rail I can still "see" traffic up to 20+ miles away.

Cheers

E Smith
s/v Larissa

http://www.milltechmarine.com/Smart-Rad ... p_167.html
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Have you seen the new VHF receiver/transmitter with built in AIS receiver display.

My guess that within a year or two we will be able to buy a VHF Receiver Transmitter with Class B built in AIS receive and transmit functions.Image
Have A Nice Day
Annie Ward

Post by Annie Ward »

I work for the harbor pilots in Charleston and use AIS every day in my job to locate the ships coming into our harbor prior to sending a pilot.

While large commercial traffic (ships) always uses AIS, there are a lot of vessels out there that do not. Specifically, many pleasure craft (the exception being larger vessels in charter service), commercial fishing boats, some harbor tugs, and SeaTow/Boat US rescue vessels. At least that's how it is in Charleston harbor. Surprisingly (or not), the Coast Guard does not always use theirs, probably for security purposes in certain situations.

AIS also has a limited range. Go too far offshore and you won't see anything.

If I were to plan to be sailing a lot at night, offshore, and/or in close proximity to commercial traffic and shipping lanes, I wouldn't hesitate to use both AIS and all the lights necessary. The things I have seen and heard of in my job would make your hair curl and would make you wish you had spent the extra money for both.

IMHO,
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

AIS

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

If I had to choose between AIS and a tri color light I would choose the AIS. On a recent 7 day Texas to Isla Mujeres Mexico crossing the boat I was on had an AIS receiver. The AIS told us the boats information including its speed and course and the distance it was expected to get closes to us. The first night out I was able to call a vessel by name and get him to change course. Two other nights we changes course for ships pulling 4 miles of cable behind them. AIS will work as far out as you can go as long as the ship is transmitting a signal and you are within VHF receiving range.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Len

Ais for free

Post by Len »

To get an idea of how Ais will work in your area of the world, just go to this website. Its not as fast as a receiver but its free. You will be able to see how many vessels in your area use AIS, as well as all the AIS infomation you would get with a receiver.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

ais

Keep in mind when using that website those are only the boats close enough to land to be picked up by the towers. there are a lot more ships away from land that you would see on you ais if you were out there with them.

Here is a link to give you an idea of what is out there. Keep in mind these ships are only the ones who reported their location for weather data information.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Kevin Kaldenbach

link

Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
The Patriot

Re: Tri color mast head light / AIS system

Post by The Patriot »

Steve Laume wrote: ... If you were to chose one or the other, which would ensure more safety when sailing off the coast or doing a passage at night? ... The AIS could be added at any time but the mast is down right now so this is the time to run wires if need be. I suppose I could run the mast wiring and just leave the ends at the mast head ...
You may want to re-phrase the question: Do I want passive protection (e.g., a radar reflector), or active protection (e.g., radar and AIS)? Personally I prefer both, having experienced on occasion less than satisfactory performance by some of the Big Boys. Also, you don't need or want a second VHF antenna at the masthead for AIS. You can use a splitter, or mount a second antenna on the rail, the spreader, etc.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

After a close encounter

Post by Jim Davis »

This past summer I had a close with the Point Judith - Block Island Ferry. It was under 100 foot visibility the the SOB was traveling at 30 knots. What caught my attention was the moving target on my RADAR. I put out a "security call", he responded "Its OK, I see you on my RADAR". I responded "I'm turning 90 degrees right." which opened the distance. He passed at 300 yards, only heard him go by. The SOB should have his license yanked.

Needless to say AIS has moved up on my want list. Not sure if it will be receive only or a transponder.

That said, the big guys I can see with RADAR, unfortunately the small fiberglass boats don't give a good return and they won't have AIS.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
The Patriot

Re: After a close encounter

Post by The Patriot »

Jim Davis wrote:This past summer I had a close [encounter] with the Point Judith - Block Island Ferry ... the SOB was traveling at 30 knots ...
I know the fellow myself. He likes to go fast and doesn't seem to mind coming close to small yachts. Last summer I had him on AIS and radar and he seemed to be coming right down on us. I hailed him using his name and call sign (via AIS) and, doncha know, he responded and changed course. I'd bet he thinks he's doing a heck of a job (to quote some Texan).