CD25 stern rail

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Annie Ward

CD25 stern rail

Post by Annie Ward »

I have searched this board and the brochures and manuals available on this website and still can't find an answer. Our 1973 CD25 does not have a stern rail. The lifelines are attached to strap-eyes through-bolted on the aft deck just inside the toe-rail. My question is: did these boats originally come with stern rails? The oldest brochure available on this website is for the 1977 boat and shows a stern rail but that doesn't answer whether or not the 1973 did.

Frankly, we like the look of the boat better without the rail and if that's the way it came originally we will probably leave it that way. For practical purposes, it would probably be better to have one, and if it had one originally we might well go to the expense of replacing it. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Stern rails and pulpits forward were options I would suspect.
The last time I looked Defender had a few sizes available.
________
CELTA
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:15, edited 1 time in total.
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

I don't remember ever seeing a picture of a 25 without one. I'd like to see how that looks. Do you have a photograph? The only thing that I use mine for it storing the Outboard.
Seajunkie
Annie Ward

Post by Annie Ward »

Rich,

I don't have any photos of the boat here at work. I'll check my computer at home but I don't think I have one that would help. I'll get out to where the boat is stored later in the week (weather permitting) and will take some and post them here.

Because we will be using the boat only as a daysailer and sometime-overnighter, we were thinking we really don't need one unless it makes the boat look more correct, even though we like the look of it better without. But then I got to thinking about somewhere to put a rod holder and the grill (only when we're using it). I don't know -- the jury is still out until we find out how the 73s were originally fitted. I just find it hard to believe that they were sold with the end of the lifelines attached to a little bitty strap-eye, even if they are through-bolted.
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241
Andy Denmark

Tops-In-Quality

Post by Andy Denmark »

This manufacturer made bow pulpits and stern rails for Cape Dories way back when. Pulpits and rails and lifelines were all optional equipment from the factory or could be owner-added at a later time. Installation is pretty straight forward. All need substantial backing plates.

www.topsinquality.com/

Hope this helps
________
Indica strains
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:45, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Ward

Post by Annie Ward »

Thanks, Ron and Andy. Very helpful information!
Annie
Charleston, SC
CDSOA #1241