Cold weather in Texas should we be concerned

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

captalex

Cold weather in Texas should we be concerned

Post by captalex »

Anyone concerned or have ideas on what may freeze and cause problems with these upcoming freezing temps....I have 50/50 in the engine but what about the water tanks and heater or even the head what about the batteries? My boat has never been frozen so this could be an interesting yet costly experience!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

The batteries won't freeze. Cars up north all have batteries and they're just fine.

Water, on the other hand, will freeze (and expand in the process). What freezes when depends on how low the temp goes for how long and the quantity of water being frozen. Small amounts (e.g., hoses) freeze sooner than larger amounts (e.g., tanks. Note that even where OJ lives, lakes freeze over but they don't freeze solid.

If you're looking just at overnight temps just below freezing, you're probably safe.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
jerryaxler

Texas freeze

Post by jerryaxler »

If the boat is in the water and the freeze is not deep, don't worry. However if the boat is on the hard, I would put non-toxic antifreeze in the water system. Those narrow water lines are easy to freeze and then split from the expansion. If the freeze is prolonged, I would winterize the head and empty the seacocks all around since they can be distorted by expansion on freezing.
What ever happened to global warming?
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler