cardboard packaging

Share your provisioning secrets and solutions as well as your recipes.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ron M.

cardboard packaging

Post by Ron M. »

Just a word about this 'potential' problem.
Cardboard/paper packaging can contain eggs of pests,(roaches etc.) and should be eliminated quickly by transfering contents to heavy duty baggies or plastic containers for storage aboard. Disgard the boxes as soon as possible.
We left our boat in Florida a few years ago returning to it after a couple of months. I had left aboard a small corregated coardboard box and some foodstuffs with cardboard packaging,(saltines, pasta, etc. ).
Needless to say, upon returning there was an infestation which was a major pain in the butt to eradicate and kept us from enjoying sailing for a few days while dealing with it.
________
Ford Cargo
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:12, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: cardboard packaging

Post by Duncan »

Ron M. wrote:Cardboard/paper packaging...should be eliminated quickly by transfering contents to heavy duty baggies or plastic containers...
I have heard of the infestation issues in warmer places. I haven't found this as much of an issue further North, but I just wanted to mention a couple of other reasons to follow this excellent advice:

- You're going to recycle the cardboard sooner or later. Sooner makes more sense because it's usually easier to find facilities where you did your shopping than where you are cruising. Why carry around something you don't want in the first place?

- The cardboard usually adds little or no value to storing the food. It's prone to getting wet, using up space and making a mess, so re-packaging is a step in the right direction. If there is anything of value on the cardboard (identification, cooking directions, etc.), it's easy to tear that off and slip it inside.

I doubt that it's ever taken me more than a few extra minutes to dispose of all the cardboard from a provisioning run, and it was time well-spent.

...of course, many of us know that the cost of the package often exceeds the cost of the food inside, but that's a rant for another day.

Did I mention that I hate excess packaging :D