Used Typhoon Sails

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mandochef
Mandolin Wind

Used Typhoon Sails

Post by mandochef »

Hi Guys-
I just finished my first partial season with my Typhoon. Great boat! My registration says the boat is a 1975, but when I was prepping the boat I saw two hull stamps that read October of '74. Wrong date on the registration or do they use the date when the boat was completed? Next question: The sails are original and tired. New sails? $1600!! Where is the best place to look for used or consigned sails? I live on Long Island.

Thanks for your help
T. Hashagen
Shelby
Location: CD Typhoon/open daysailer...."Liberty".......OKC,OK

sails

Post by Shelby »

I replaced my mainsail not long ago.......ordered from Cruising Direct......which is a loft for "North Sails"....if I had left the "TY" logo off the sail.......the price would have been just over $400..........best deal I found......give them a look
renmihalov

used sails on consignment

Post by renmihalov »

You might give Bacon's in Annapolis a try--www.baconsails.com

Their on-line inventory is large and their grading is pretty accurate. I've also found them to be pretty good to do business with.
Rennie Mihalovic
Greenbelt, Md
Jeff D

Typhoon Sails

Post by Jeff D »

I replaced the sails on my TyD last winter from North Direct. I paid <$900 for a main (all partial battens, loose footed, 1 reef point, no insignia) and a 110% roller furling jib (no foam/rope). They made a big difference in my sailing. I am reasonably happy, but the tack of the main is cut too far back by ~1". I would be concerned that used sails will be like my old set - very tired.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

On the upper starboard side of the stern there is a HIN (hull identfication number). What does it say?
Have A Nice Day
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

sharkbait wrote:On the upper starboard side of the stern there is a HIN (hull identfication number). What does it say?
Also, a hull may come out of the mold late in one year but not be fully commissioned until the next year. Our Allied Princess, Tranquil, is an example; her hull id states 12/72 but on her title she is listed as 1973.

There is also the issue of boats built before the "fancy" VIN was put in place which frequently is handled by the state issuing a "home-built" VIN and title statement.

-mike & Toni
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
seajunkie

sailwarehouse

Post by seajunkie »

I'm on a budget and do mostly coastal sailing. I bought my main and roller furling sail from Sail Warehouse and after the first season have been very happy with them. I probably went out about thirty times with them and they have held up well. I know some others on this Board have been pretty happy with them.

Anyway I preferred these to something used:
http://thesailwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/web ... l&cart_id=
Seajunkie