CD36 washdown faucet

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

David L

CD36 washdown faucet

Post by David L »

Hi! All:

I want to install a washdown faucet somewhere on the deck, presumably up front for anchor work. Currently, the washdown hose must be threaded down through the head's portlight and attached to the washdown pump under the basin in the head every time I want to use it.

The easiest place for installing the faucet seems to be outside the head portlight, close to the toe rail. It's easy to get to on the outside but would be subject to salty run off from breaking waves.

Who else has a washdown pump and where is the external faucet located? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,
David
David van den Burgh

Washdown pump

Post by David van den Burgh »

I mounted a deck fitting for our washdown pump just forward of the bow pulpit mount on the port side. The plumbing travels through the anchor locker and back to the washdown pump, which I mounted in the hanging locker.

I'll include a link to our website, but I'm having formatting issues, so the page won't look right. You should be able to see the pictures and read the copy, though: http://www.ariel-cd36.org/projects_washdown.html
David L

Post by David L »

David:

Many thanks for the pictures. You have a very unobtrusive installation.

I've bought Sea Dog's regular (gate valve) faucet with a handle, but your fixture is a better choice: small, no moving parts, and capped for protection. Looks like a Sea Dog part, too.

Wow! Just look at the thickness of the deck. I had no idea. I have an adjust able hole saw but now think it's too flimsey for the job. Looks like a real hole saw is required.

Regards,
David
David van den Burgh

No problem

Here's another perspective:

I wanted the fitting out of the way and yet accessible. This location has worked out well. Additionally, it made routing the plumbing pretty simple.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Mahalo has a salt water wash down pump. The fitting is installed in just about the same location as Ariel. Ours is a Perko part but looks about the same, no moving parts except a cap that can get lost.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

How are those wash down pumps switched? Do you hook up the hose then flip a breaker? Is there a built in pressure switch in the wash down pump?

Water intake from the head seacock?

I don't see Raven getting a wash down pump this winter but I am curious, Steve.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

The only switch we have is the breaker. We have a dedicated seacock, thats how the boat came. If I was doing it I would "T" off the head intake line and not add another seacock.

Our order of operation is:

1) Remove cap.
2) Put cap in pocket (keeper chain is long gone).
3) Hook up hose
4) Hang hose over side
5) Open seacock
6) Turn on breaker

We have a dedicated hose about 10ft long that we use for this. It has an old school brass hose nozzle.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
David van den Burgh

Steve Laume wrote:How are those wash down pumps switched? Do you hook up the hose then flip a breaker? Is there a built in pressure switch in the wash down pump?

I don't see Raven getting a wash down pump this winter but I am curious, Steve.
I added a switch to the electrical panel. Yes, the pump has a built-in pressure switch. I plumbed the washdown to an unused seacock located in the hanging locker.

Fairly simple setup. I got a good deal on the pump on ebay - about 1/2 price. It is one more thing to winterize, though.
Last edited by David van den Burgh on Nov 10th, '09, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
jerryaxler

wash down

Post by jerryaxler »

I used a similar deck connection and teed it off the head sink with a separate switch at the circuit board. Just remember to put the sink plug in order to develop the suction.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Bob Brown

Wash down

Post by Bob Brown »

Hello all,

Catnap which my wife Barbara and I purchased in July has a manual windless which has it's own haws pipe just aft of the gypsy. This leaves the stock haws pipes to be used for the hose. The hose is tied to the hook beneath the cover.

The system is set up with a surflow pump under the sink with the intake off the head through hull. The switch is located on the breaker panel.

Bob
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Post by Bill Cochrane »

Don't have a photo of the finished install but used this fitting from Newfound Metals. Almost flush with the deck when not in use.

Using a Jabsco pump, on the bulkhead inside the head locker under the sink and teed off the head intake.
David L

Post by David L »

Steve Laume wrote:How are those wash down pumps switched? Do you hook up the hose then flip a breaker? Is there a built in pressure switch in the wash down pump?

(CD36) Raven's washdown pump is under the sink in the head and is connected to a 12V accessory socket behind the RH sliding door over the sink. It is an awful arrangement, soon to be permanently wired via a switch or breaker. The Shurflo pump has a built in pressure switch and shuts off when water pressure is built up.

Raw water comes from the 1½" seacock that supplies the head and the air conditioner. This, too, is less than ideal. Only the air conditioner's supply goes through a Groco strainer. I'm building a manifold so that all devices receive raw water via the strainer. Each line will have a Guzzler non-return valve. There is no competition for raw water as each device is used separately.

David