Any moorings available around Clinton, Connecticut?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

csxcobra

Any moorings available around Clinton, Connecticut?

Post by csxcobra »

We have a Cape Dory Typhoon and would like to find a mooring to put it on next season. A few places I have tried(North Cove in Old Saybrook) have an 8 year wait. We really would like a mooring instead of a slip. Anyone in the area have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Mike
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

In both Clinton and Westbrook you have to keep your boat on a river -- the Hammonasset and Hammock Rivers in Clinton, and the Menunketesuck and Patchogue Rivers in Westbrook. All are filled with marinas with lots of slips, no real moorings - not in a mooring field anyway. But there are the bow and stern piling type moorings. When in the neighborhood we've always passed them by, opting instead for a berth at Cedar Island Marina (Clinton) or Brewer Pilots Point South (Westbrook). So I'm not sure who to call for a piling mooring. Try the Clinton Town Dock (860) 669-7475 or the Duck Island Yacht Club, Westbrook. Did you try Island Cove Marina on the Connecticut River in Old Saybrook? I'm pretty sure they have regular moorings, 860-388-0029.

If you don't mind working your way further up the CT River, The Chandlery at Essex/Brewer Dauntless, the Essex Yacht Club and the Essex Corinthian Yacht Club have moorings.

Don't know how long the waiting lists are for any of these places.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
jim ventrilio
S/V San Angelo

moorings

Post by jim ventrilio »

if you haven't done so, put your name in for North Cove, you might not have to wait as long as you think...

check with the harbormaster in Westbrook, he has control of moorings there...I think you best bet is to leave a note on the little shack at the town dock.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

The only luck I had in finding a town mooring along the Ct coast without a long wait was Niantic.

http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=13 ... Ctr=|40046|
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Mooring

Post by Oswego John »

I don't know what local restrictions might be, if any. Maybe you could look into seeing what the requirements are and purchase your own proper gear and equipment. Then either you or someone you hire set your own mooring.

Just make sure that everything is legal.

You have all winter to check it out.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

While you're at it, you also could put your name in for a town mooring in Essex. This has nothing to do with the marinas or yacht clubs in town; you do it through the harbor master's office in the municipal building. Also a long wait, but you have nothing to lose -- and you never know.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If you are looking for a rental mooring, there are definitely some available in the Mystic, Noank area. It is a bit farther up I-95 but traffic is not usually the problem along that stretch that it can be closer to NY. You might be looking at another half hour on the road, if that.

Noank is a fine area to sail out of. Either West Cove or the Mystic River are fairly well protected but open enough to sail right off your mooring. Then you have Fishers Island Sound to explore. I believe the winds are usually a bit better than down in LI Sound durring the summer too.

The extra drive might be worth it unless you live right in Clinton. There would be nothing better than having the boat 5 or 10 minutes from home, Steve.