New CD Typhoon videos

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

New CD Typhoon videos

Post by Markst95 »

I took some video Monday of Sailing in Narragansett Bay. Video is on the Youtube Cape Dory site.

http://www.youtube.com/group/CapeDory
Joe Montana
Member 781

Ensign Attachment

Post by Joe Montana »

Very nice! Thanks for posting. I'm interested in how is your ensign attached. It appears to be on the backstay, but what is the little "pigtail" that hangs down (to the deck)? I've been reluctant to install a flagstaff because I'd like a large ensign and I'm afraid it might hang too far down and foul on the engine. Has this been a problem for anyone? I'm tempted to fly one off the leech.
Markst95

Post by Markst95 »

I haven't flown an ensign, still figuring out what works and what doesn't before I make too many changes and additions. There's not alot of room on the stern for adding things. The hanging wire is a Topping lift hooked to the backstay.
bifcondor
Location: 1971 typhoon weekender #137, "commander's moon" Biscayne Bay, FL

Post by bifcondor »

beautiful teak. have you considered rigging your jib with a double purchase? I just had mine done when I got new sails and it is like a completely different boat. much much easier to single hand. another question, is that the original jib track?
Markst95

Post by Markst95 »

I'm not familiar with a "double purchase" can you explain? Anything to help with single handing. The original jib tracks were plastic and very brittle so I replaced them with standard 1"aluminum track and new cars. The only thing I would have done differently and might change is have the blocks free standing, they bounce around a little and scratch the paint.
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

has anyone noticed that is not a Typhoon?
ronkberg

Yes......but

Post by ronkberg »

Novotny, look to the right and click on "Cape Dory Typhoon Sailing on Narragansett" and you will see Markst95's Typhoon video.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Markst95 wrote:I'm not familiar with a "double purchase" can you explain? Anything to help with single handing. The original jib tracks were plastic and very brittle so I replaced them with standard 1"aluminum track and new cars. The only thing I would have done differently and might change is have the blocks free standing, they bounce around a little and scratch the paint.
I think I know what "bifcondor" is referring to with a "double purchase". They have been installed on the Harbor 20s we race on Saturdays.

The Harbor 20s have a CDI roller furling. At the clew of the jib (a 100-110 jib) a small shackle is attached to the clew grommet. Then two small blocks are attached to the shackle - one for the separate port (red) jib sheet; one for the starboard (green) jib sheet. One end of each sheet is then affixed to the cabin roof. In the case of the Harbor 20s, because the cabin roof is all fiberglass, they just drilled a small hole on each side of the coach roof and threaded the jib sheet lines through with a figure eight knot on the end to keep it from coming out. Each sheet is then run through its respective block at the jib clew, back through a fairlead and track and then back to the cockpit where there is a dedicated cam cleat on each side of the cabin roof. This gives you a 2:1 purchase (right term :?: ) and makes it easier to work the jib sheets.

The downside is that unless you have a roller furling jib where the jib sheets are always "left on", each time you remove the hank on jib you must undo the "figure eight" knot, etc. Also, I have not seen it used on large Genoas like a 150. It may not work in that case because of the additional sail area and finding a place to attach the fixed end of each jib sheet.

Of course, I could have this all completely wrong. As has often been said of me "The porch light may be on, but rarely is anyone home" :(

I am heading out to the sailing club now with hopes of sailing a little - weather permitting. Cathy M., you may be interested to know that today (21 Sep) the temp in Miami is expected to reach 91 degrees F with a heat index of 105 F :!: That is not a typo.

New England may have some level of humidity when it rains, but is NOTHING like South Florida.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097