CD36 aspin sheet blocks

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

CD36 aspin sheet blocks

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks,

I think maybe we've discussed this before, but I can't find it. I'm trying to figure the best way to mount some blocks for aspin sheets. The instructional videos all say to mount them at the aft corners of the boat. I don't really want to mount stand-up blocks on the top of the toerail (through-bolted of course) but I could. I could also just through-bolt some padeyes there to give me a place to shackle some blocks in place when I need them. That would leave the blocks too "floppy" and they would likely bang up the toerail. I could also move to just inside the toerail and mount stand up blocks on the deck, but the rail is tall and I would need bolsters for the blocks.. Not really a problem, but not the neatest thing, either. Today it occurred to me that It might be possible to somehow attach a block to the stern pulpit. It's pretty strong. If the block was down low on the forwardmost vertical part, below the lower lifeline, it might be really well positioned.

Another possibility is to either extend the present genoa track all the way aft, or just install a short piece of track back there.

Any thoughts?
Regards,
Troy Scott
kerlandsen

Post by kerlandsen »

You can also use a small lashing line and lash some 'flying' blocks to the stern cleats.
My boat actually has two padeyes just forward of the stern pulpit that were probably used for jacklines, I am putting my Ratchet blocks there for the asym.
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

End of Existing Genoa Track works OK for me

Post by Doug Gibson »

Hi Troy -

While I'm still a novice with the aspin, I've had pretty good results with simply moving the block to the very end of the existing genoa track. Extending the track to the stern would shift it back about 3 feet, but I'm not sure how much difference it would really make in sail shape given how dramatically the beam narrows those last few feet. Where I struggle with the aspin is on a very broad reach... almost down wind, where the clew should be positioned (poled) further out from boat centerline. Mounting at the stern would make little difference here. It would give you more horizontal and less vertical pull on the clew and allow a fuller top of the aspin.

I purchased new Jib Sheet lead blocks (garhauer) and kept the old schaeffer blocks for use with the aspin. I also replaced the old schaeffer turning blocks with dual/stacked harken turning blocks with lock-off's (#6078). This allows me to share primary winches between jib and aspin sheets. With the aspin blocks at the very end of the existing track, the sheets still feed nicely to the turning block/winch. If you do mount at the corner, you'll want to check the routing of lines back to your winches. I didn't want to create potential for line chafe on my cockpit brightwork.

As you have probably concluded, I'm more than willing to trade off optimum sail trim for cost, simplicity and ease of maintenance.
Doug Gibson