Salon Table for CD 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

VanCitters

Salon Table for CD 28

Post by VanCitters »

I have a 1974 CD28 (Pu'uhonua) here in Annaopolis. I want to replace the post-mounted salon table with a bulkhead mounted one. I would really appreciate information (and pictures!) about how this is done on other 28's (or 30's), as well as any leads about where to get a table that can be converted. The one that came with the boat weighs a ton and is made of '74 vintage fake teak.

Thanks!

Wayne
Wayne Van Citters
Bob Ohler

Bacon and Associates

Post by Bob Ohler »

Wayne, keep a watchful eye on the stock at Bacon's just off West St. there in Annapolis.

Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B
sv Aloha Spirit
VanCitters

Post by VanCitters »

Thanks, Bob. I'll keep an eye out there. Hope I can get some pictures, too, with details of mouinting. I will need a table that can slide from being stowed over the setee out towards the middle of the cabin.

Wayne
Wayne Van Citters
sealark
"Sea Lark"

Bulkhead Table

Post by sealark »

I have the bulkhead mounted table in my 28.

I have some pictures - I can email them to you. Not exactly sure how to post them here.

My table is made out of what appears to be 3/4" teak plywood with solid teak edge banding.

Making one from scratch may be about the same amount of work as trying to modify an existing. The table seems like it would be the easier part - not sure on the actual bracket that attaches it to the bulkhead.

Let me know - I can send measurements also - if you like.
VanCitters

Pictures!

Post by VanCitters »

Some pictures would be a huge help! Please just send to vancitters@aol.com. Measurements would be great and any details about whether your table slides into the salon area from above the setee/berth and how it does so would be much appreciated.

Wayne
Wayne Van Citters
sealark
"Sea Lark"

Photos Sent

Post by sealark »

Wayne - I just sent you 3 separate emails with the photos attached. Let me know if they don't come through.

I can get some dimensions this weekend.

Kevin Walsh
VanCitters

Post by VanCitters »

Kevin,

These are just what I needed! If you can get some measurements this weekend, that would be fantastic: Width and length when fully extended; height above the cabin sole and height above the setee cushion; when fully extended into the cabin, is the table centered or offset to port or starboard?

I think you have just solved my problems, with the exception of whether to try and buy a table or just set to and make one myself.

Many, many thanks,

Wayne
Wayne Van Citters
VanCitters

More about Pu'uhonua

Post by VanCitters »

Kevin,

Pu'uhonua ("Place of Refuge" in Hawaiian) is a 75 hull and I will check papers, but I am pretty sure I bought her in the fall of 1998; She had been on the hard for a number of years and took a lot of work (all cosmetic) to get her back in the water.

I have done extensive work since on the interior as she was one of a few early hulls with a pilot berth. After one season we decided that did not work well on a boat this size (clearly CD came to the same conclusion). I cut back the berth area (port side) so that the setee had a reasonable amount of room, but preserved the three storage drawers. In doing so I have replaced most of the fake "teak" laminate with real teak ply (port and starboard), which has lightened up the cabin. Not easy, but worth the work. I will take some pictures and can send them along if you are interested.

Table and refinishing that forward bulkhead are next, followed by a re-do of the head.

Thanks for helping with the modernization.

Wayne
Wayne Van Citters
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

I have the bulkhead mounted table from our '27. I replaced it a few years ago with one made of white-oak. You can have it for the cost of shipping.
Mark Abramski
VanCitters

Post by VanCitters »

Mark,

How generous!! My 28 is a very old hull ('75) and I have had to modify the port side as it came with a pilot berth that I removed, though still leaving less room against the bulkhead than the later layouts. Do you have the dimensions of the table and maybe a picture of how it mounts to the bulkhead so I can see if it could work?? This would be fantastic!!

Thanks so much,

Wayne
Wayne Van Citters
VanCitters

Post by VanCitters »

Mark,

I should also say that I have sailed with a very,very good friend every summer (for the past decade or more) on Ontario on his Saber 34. We start in Rochester and go across to Waupoos and the Kingston area; sometimes farther up into the 1000 Islands. Sometimes we go across and do the Bay of Quinte (sp?), We have been into Oswego several times on the return to Rochester.

Wayne
Wayne Van Citters