Rebedding Hatch

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Rebedding Hatch

Post by Bob Owens »

I need to rebed the Bomar hatch on my 27, due to a tiny leak that has recently developed. Had planned to use one of the good caulks, but I see that Bomar now sells a mounting tape as an alternative. It would be less messy, but it is pricey--$46--a lot more than caulk would cost. Any advice? Thanks.
Bob
sfreihofer

Re: Rebedding Hatch

Post by sfreihofer »

Hi Bob;

I am not familiar with your hatch, but I would suspect that the "mounting tape" is butyl rubber tape. You can get it in various colors, thicknesses, and widths. It seals well, has great longevity, is easy to trim, and it's cheap. So far, I haven't found it to be "easy to find," but I know it's out there.

What continues to irk me is when manufacturers take common materials and sell them as proprietary, with a huge markup. Grrrr.

If anyone out there knows of a good source for butyl rubber tape, please SHARE!

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com
Bob Owens wrote:I need to rebed the Bomar hatch on my 27, due to a tiny leak that has recently developed. Had planned to use one of the good caulks, but I see that Bomar now sells a mounting tape as an alternative. It would be less messy, but it is pricey--$46--a lot more than caulk would cost. Any advice? Thanks.
Bob
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Butyl Rubber Tape

Post by Bob Owens »

Stan,
Goggle gives a ton of sources for "butyl rubber tape," but one needs to select a thickness. What thickness would you think, for the hatch, whose frame is a little over 1 inch wide all the way around and is mounted with screws about every 6 inches or so?
Bob
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Google, of course, not Goggle

Post by Bob Owens »

n/m
dvm2nd

BUTYL RUBBER TAPE

Post by dvm2nd »

This tape usually comes in rolls of about 20 feet. The main use for the tape is for automotive front and rear windshields. Most auto stores such as NAPA, Auto-Zone, CAP, Advance sell butyl tape. Also try any windshield glass company as they replace auto glass all the time. Hope this helps.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Butyl rubber can be acquired at almost any RV supply center at a price that is reasonable. I bought the 3/4" to bed all of the toe and rub rails. It usually comes in two colors; gray and black. I paid $17.00/roll (50 ft) and it took two to do all the trim on the Weekender.
Have A Nice Day
mgphl52

McMaster-Carr to the rescue?

Post by mgphl52 »

Here's what I found on their website:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#butyl-rubber-tape/=3bidt2

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"