self tailing winch conversion

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

blackwatch

self tailing winch conversion

Post by blackwatch »

Looking for information about converting existing winchs to self tailing with an add-on plastic spool that attachs to existing winch. I have seen them but don't know where to look.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

"Winchers"--a luke-warm endorsement

Post by Joe Myerson »

Blackwatch:

When I bought Creme Brulee, back in 2003, the PO included a plastic bag containing two "Whinchers," those plastic add-ons you're asking about.

When I asked him about them, he replied that they worked, "sort of."

After a number of seasons sailing with them, I have to agree.

As a singlehander, these little add-ons have been very useful. No, they're not as foolproof as real self-tailers. But they do help.

My advice: If your existing winches won't accept the other add-on devices (which my Lewmar winches won't) and you can't afford to convert to self-tailing winches--the Winchers are worth a try.

If this seems like a luke-warm endorsement, it is. The previous owner of my boat was right: They work--sort of.

Hope this helps.

--Joe

P.S. Also included with the boat were two bottles of kids' bubble-blowing liquid. It took me a while to figure out why: the liquid is just slippery enough to enable the Winchers to slip over the tops of the winches. It's also great for attaching suction cups to bulkheads.
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I've had the Winchers, I believe they are called, and they are pretty much useless.

IF you want/need self tailers bite the bullet and get a real self tailing winch. I bought Andersens and would do so again.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

This may be what you are referring to:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... %7C1?N=377 710&Ne=0&Ntt=winch&Ntk=Primary Search&Ntx=mode matchallpartial&Nao=100&Ns=Is New|1&keyword=winch&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=2&subdeptNum=374&classNum=383

At $45-$47 each they had better work pretty darn good :!:

P.S. Not sure why the site location (or whatever it's called) is so long. I am not computer literate. :oops:
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe Myerson

There's also "Winch Mate"

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sea Hunt:

Those are the add-ons that Randy and I are talking about. They've certainly gone up in price--but still cheaper than a set of new Andersens. (BTW, those prices are for a pair of Winchers.)

However, if Blackwatch happens to have Barient or Barlow winches, there's also something called "Winch Mate", which looks more substantial.

Here's a link (courtesy of an ad in Good Old Boat).

http://www.winchmate.com

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
SPIBob

winchers

Post by SPIBob »

I have winchers and I think they are a good low-budget self-tailing option. At first I tried to use them like standard self-tailers and jam the sheet in the groove of the wincher. That didn't work.

Then, in desperation, I read the instructions and found that the idea was to wrap the sheet around the winch until it jammed underneath the bottom rim. This proved to work much better.

For a 1/2 inch sheet this means that the jamming action starts at about four and a half wraps or so, which already puts significant drag on the sheet. The additional friction of the bottom of the wincher's rim is usually enough to secure the sheet. If there's a cleat nearby, a simple loop will seal the deal.

I think they come up now and then on ebay.

Getting them on the winches was a "real stretch".
Joe Myerson

That's the key

Post by Joe Myerson »

Bob:

My experience with Winchers was similar:

When I first installed them, I tried to use the groove at the top as a self-tailing mechanism.

Later, I read the directions.

My only quibble with these little add-ons is that wrapping the sheet from the base to the top of the winch can make it more likely to get a jam.

The key: Practice, practice, practice.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: winchers

Post by Oswego John »

SPIBob wrote:

This didn't SLIP by unnoticed. :D

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Joe Myerson

That's what the bubble-blowing liquid is for

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hey SPIBob,

That was what the PO used the bubble-blowing liquid for.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Ron M.

Tried

Post by Ron M. »

I've used these with satisfaction on my CD25, they worked fine. I also was going to put them on my 30, I tried 3 sizes. Either they were too loose or impossible to stretch enough to get them on. Boiling hot water and soap didn't do it.
Anyone have success getting these on a CD30 ? I don't recall what size the Barlows are offhand. I was disappointed I couldn't use them.
________
Vermont dispensary