Just starting out

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gene R

Just starting out

Post by Gene R »

This weekend I will take posession of cd25 # 237. She needs some minor cosmetic and wiring repair and an engine . Some say the Tohatsu 6hp with 25 inch shaft is preferred for fit in the well and also power to push. Wonder if its true. I did a search on the board and some agree but not too conclusive. Please if you have this set up let me know how you rate it. Also please advise if anyone has ever owned this boat # . I would be interested in knowing its history. Thank you

Gene R
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Great set up

Post by jbenagh »

I have exactly what you describe. It has worked very well. In decent wind (up to 20kts) the 6hp pushes the boat well. Also the motor fits very nicely in the well and is reasonable (~40lbs) to remove to the cockpit for maintenance (or removing marine growth :(

I would recommend the long shaft model with the alternator -- it's cheaper to buy upfront than retrofit.

Jeff
Jay B.
Location: Cape Dory 25 s/v little Ebby Rose Haven, MD. (sadly sold)

CD25 motor

Post by Jay B. »

I have a 1980 CD25 with a Nissan 6hp, which is the same engine. It works very well. I think the original installer had to cut down the motor mount because the motor would hit the engine well cover when it is down. X2 on the alternator...it is nice to have something to charge the battery.
Jay
KDreese
Hingham, MA

Post by KDreese »

I have a 1974 CD25 with a Nissan Sail Pro (6HP 4 stroke 25inc shaft) and it fits perfectly in the well and has been great all season this year. No issues at all with speed, power, reliability, etc.

KD
"Life begins at 2 knots."