Gasket material

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Buck

Gasket material

Post by Jim Buck »

I've removed the 10 gallon gas tank from my 22D for cleaning and would like to know what material to use to seal the sending unit to the tank. Thank you. Jim
Jim Buck
Member #1004
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I removed my fuel tanks a few years back, cleaned them and installed inspection/access ports on them. I got nitrile rubber gasket sheet from McMaster - Carr. These tanks are cylindrical, mounted horizontally, with the port on the end. No leakage whatsoever.
Try contacting the unit mfg., perhaps they have the gasket on the shelf.
________
No2 vaporizer reviews
Last edited by Ron M. on Mar 8th, '11, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Post by Jim Sullivan »

You can buy fuel-resistant rubber gasket material at a local automotive supply store. I also replaced this gasket on the CD22D that I owned. I believe the gasket you are referring to is for the float for the fuel gauge at the top of the tank. You can use the old gasket or the flange as a template. The auto supply store can advise you. Bring the old gasket with you so as to get the correct thickness. Worked fine--no leaks.

Jim
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

When I removed the diesel tank for a thorough cleaning I noticed the cork float had deteriorated and was possibly adding to the gunk in the tank. I decided to replace it.

If yours needs replacing do it now while you got the tank out. I bought the new float and meter from e-compnents for approx. $25. Money well spent and new guage came with gasket. You might also be able to get just the gasket from them.

http://www.e-components.net/4holegauge.htm
tartansailor

Permatex

Post by tartansailor »

From an auto parts store.

Dick
Judith

Another vote for auto store

Post by Judith »

We had a new SS tank fabricated with a cleanout port. The piece used for the gasket was included in an assortment pack of various materials & thicknesses (I'd asked the counter-guy for something suitable for use with diesel fuel): it was a good way to have a range of choices, without a lot of expense or waste.

Judith
Jim Buck

A grateful member

Post by Jim Buck »

This board is really wonderful. Nothing like having more than a boatload of advisers with lots of knowledge and experience to assist with a refit. Thank you very much.

Best to all of you,
Jim
Jim Buck
Member #1004