New CD25 (soon to be) Owners!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jay B.
Location: Cape Dory 25 s/v little Ebby Rose Haven, MD. (sadly sold)

New CD25 (soon to be) Owners!

Post by Jay B. »

Hello Cape Dory peoples...my wife and I will be (hopefully) taking possession of our "new to us" Cape Dory 25 this weekend! As long as the weather is good we and the current owner will be sailing her across the Chesapeake Bay from MD to VA. We are very happy to be new sailboat owners and especially Cape Dory owners! Our new boat, currently named Glimmer, is hull #762 and is in excellent condition. The previous owners kept her up very well.

As we spend more time with our new member of the family I'm sure we will be leaning on all of you experienced folks to give good advice and direction on things that will come up. We thank you in advance and hopefully before long we will be able to contribute in some way, if by nothing else than a comical story about some mistake we made.

Thanks again and happy sailing!

Jay and Jen
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Not Mistakes

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Jay and Jen,

First of all, congratulations on your new to you CD. Best of luck with it and wishing you many years of enjoyment with your jewel.

But let me put another slant on what you mention as mistakes. In actuality, they are steps or plateaus on the learning curve to becoming a good, if not great, sailor.

There is not one person reading this who didn't make his share of nautical boo boos. It's funny how many of us, at this very precise moment, are having flashbacks of some of the boners they have pulled in past years. Everyone is guilty, every swingin' one of us.

Hey, you know what? I bet if some of us are open enough to relate, I bet telling of some of our prize beauties would make a great thread.

My lips are sealed. :oops:
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
tartansailor

Yes, like:

Post by tartansailor »

On mast raising, switching the fore and back stays, and not noticing it till the crane left. :cry:
Talk about rake!
This game can certainly humble the careless.

Dick
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

Jay and Jen;

Congratulations on your new boat! If you'd like to know more about the "guts" of your new acquisition, it may help you to peruse my website, which details the ongoing restoration of my 1981 CD25 #794. You should find some information and photos of interest to you there.

I can't offer much in the way of hints for sailing her, since I have yet to launch...

As for the mistakes I've made in the past, I can offer this advice: be careful how close to the beach you anchor. If, perchance, a tropical storm should move through, the surf line will move to progressively deeper water, until, alas, your boat may be in the breakers. This is NOT good. DO NOT ask me how I know, because I hate to be reminded.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD25 #794
Ft. Lauderdale
www.ReefRoof.com
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: New CD25 (soon to be) Owners!

Post by Carter Brey »

Jay B. wrote: We thank you in advance and hopefully before long we will be able to contribute in some way, if by nothing else than a comical story about some mistake we made.
Jay and Jen
Jay and Jen,

Congratulations! I owned your boat for three years, and can tell you that I ran her aground in the Hudson River muck once. It was done in front of the entire population of the 79th Street Boat Basin. No harm done, except to my self-esteem.

She's a cool little boat. If you have any specific questions (What possessed you to install the hatch vent with 3M 5200? Why is there sticky lanolin all over the shroud turnbuckles? Why is Jimmy Hoffa's body stuffed into the bilge?), just email me off-list.

Have fun,
Carter Brey
Sabre 28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
City Island, NY

CD25 #762 off Mamaroneck, Long Island Sound on a breezy day:

[img]http://pws.prserv.net/cbrey/cme1.jpg[/img]
boogie

Post by boogie »

Hi Carter
I did the same scene on the reef just south of the Statue of Liberty, when it was still open to the public on a Saturday afternoon.
Talking about "self esteem". a Tow and four barges ran aground a few hundred yards from me five minute after and took part of the attention of the photographers away from me. Thank goodness!
Jacob KB2C
SV "Malaika" PSC 37
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Welcome!

Post by Sea Owl »

Jay and Jen:

Welcome! You will find the people on this board full of good advice, friendly, and VERY understanding - many have made their own share of mistakes! Me included!

The CD25 is a great little boat. All of us who own one, or have owned one, love them!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Dean Abramson

Congrats!

Post by Dean Abramson »

Welcome Aboard!

Any questions you have, fire away. Someone will almost certainly know the answer or can point you towards it.

Let us know how your first sails go. Have fun. If you are not making some silly blunders, you are probably not learning fast enough. We are all still learning, and making those blunders sometimes.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Welcome. I have had my CD25 for a year now and I'm starting to feel comfortable. I love this boat. I'm sneaking out of work early tomorrow to get in a little sailing! It is a great boat for short handed sailing.
Seajunkie
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Congratulations! Make sure you post all your mistakes so we can all "chuckle" a little.....not at you....but when we remember when we did the exact same thing!!!

By the way...you are getting a great boat. Carter Brey was (and still is) absolutely fanatical about keeping his boat(s) in bristol condition. After he ran aground in the Hudson he rented scuba gear and a brush and wiped every bit of mud off his keel!!! To do anything else would have been impermissible!!!! ( a little tongue in cheek here!!)
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Jay B.

New CD25!

Post by Jay B. »

Thanks for all the replys! We sailed our new girl across the Chesapeake Bay on Sunday and it was absolutely fantastic! The wind was blowing pretty good and there were pretty good waves. I am very happy with the way the CD25 handles the rough water.

I was concerned about getting the boat into the slip for the first time...but that even went smoothly. It was a good day. :)

Carter: I think it's really cool that you owned the boat. I read the article in the Good Old Boat mag...that is also very cool. The boat is still in very good condition, although I need to refinish the wood on the outside.

I will keep everyone posted as we enjoy our new boat. I've not even spent enough time with her to have a question yet! :)

Jay
Brian A.

Post by Brian A. »

Jay and Jen: Congratulations on acquiring a lovely boat. We have owned Simpatico (hull number 841) for twenty-one years. I never tire of sailing her or looking at her. She’ll make a terrific first boat for you. Enjoy! Among my more noteworthy awkward and humorous (in hindsight) moments came while approaching my mooring under sail, alone, on a stormy afternoon (the outboard stowed below). I carelessly run over the mooring line for the dinghy which then becomes lodged very tightly between the rudder and the keel (of course). Did I mention that the sails are up and a stiff wind is blowing? Before I realize my predicament, the boat swings around to sail down wind while being securely held stern- to by the aforementioned mooring line which by now is bar-tight. I have little hope of removing the fouled line while running down wind without cutting the dinghy free (thereby offering it to King Neptune). Naturally, I can't head-up to lower the sails. After what seemed like an eternity of being held helplessly by my tail, I finally persuade the sails to come down and remove the offending line. It was a very ugly way to fetch a mooring! Fortunately, none of the local salts were around to witness (and report) my stupid sailor trick, but now you all know about it. Cheers, Brian
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

Carter Brey wrote:
Jay B. wrote:
Jay and Jen,

Congratulations! I owned your boat for three years, and can tell you that I ran her aground in the Hudson River muck once. Have fun,
Carter Brey
Sabre 28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
City Island, NY

CD25 #762 off Mamaroneck, Long Island Sound on a breezy day:

[img]http://pws.prserv.net/cbrey/cme1.jpg[/img]
Carter,

Perhaps Jen and Jay don't realize that #762 Mary Ellen was a cover girl on Good Old Boat with a great story inside. Maybe you can provide them with the issue number so they could order it if they like.

Dick
Jay B.

New CD25!

Post by Jay B. »

We do realize...in fact we received two copies of the issue with the boat documentation. I was very impressed with the organization of documentation that came with the boat. I think there is a manual for everything on the boat, including the original owners manuals for the boat.

I have not yet read the complete article ...although my wife was reading it and relaying parts of it to me while I was driving. I think it is really cool that our boat was featured in a magazine! :)