Different Typhoon Scupper Drain installation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Different Typhoon Scupper Drain installation

Post by Markst95 »

I've done the unthinkable and installed cockpit drains on my Ty without seacocks. I used larger (1 1/4) Marelon thru hulls, installed them with 5200 and marine sanitation hose. My thinking is if I'm on the boat and there's a failure I'll just dive overboard and shove a wood plug in the hole. I went with larger thru hulls to help with the draining problem. So far they seem to drain very well.

Last edited by Markst95 on Jun 23rd, '15, 11:36, edited 2 times in total.
Dick Villamil

Typhoon Scuppers

Post by Dick Villamil »

I can understand why you did this but if one scupper starts to leak with valves you can at least shut it off. The only other thing I would do is to position the screws of the screw clamps on opposite sides of the fitting - this avoids and small leaks that could occur between the clamps. The weakest point is the hose so if the valve is plumbed to the hull, you can always shut it off.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Re: Different Typhoon Scupper Drain installation

Post by RIKanaka »

Markst95 wrote:I've done the unthinkable and installed cockpit drains on my Ty without seacocks. I used larger (1 1/4) Marelon thru hulls, marine sanitation hose and installed them with 5200. My thinking is if I'm on the boat and there's a failure I'll just dive overboard and shove a wood plug in the hole. I went with larger thru hulls to help with the draining problem. So far they seem to drain very well.
Mark, you don't have to dive overboard. You can still plug it from the inside with a plug that fits the hose or the thru-hull.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Keep some plugs handy, on the inside near the holes in your boat. A sharp knife, too.

I assume that hoses leak at the exact same time the wind is up, the sky is black (except for the lightning part) and going in the water is a BAD idea.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Markst95

Post by Markst95 »

Thanks for the idea on the clamps, when I installed them I was thinking about angling the tails so I wouldn't get caught on one, there somewhat sharp. I'll move one if I do have any leaks. I did start out with the intentions of putting in true seacocks, I even bought some but there isn't enough room to install them unless you cutout a big chunk of the quarterberth supports. I had to slice a groove out to even use the bigger thru hulls. Anyone else have any pics of their thru hull Ty setup???
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

Mark, these pictures are not from my boat but from someone else's on this board. They are the 3/4" true seacocks from Spartan that were used on later model year Typhoons. Mine came with gate valves that I changed to ball valves.

Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Markst95

Post by Markst95 »

Its interesting to see the changes over the years on the Ty, It looks from the pics they moved the thru hulls to be more in line with the drains. The bilge access is more aft than mine as well. It would be nice if we could put together a timeline of the different changes occuring through different years. My boat is a 72 and it seems like they did some changes for the 73's with a molded shelf in the v berth. Although most changes seem to be improvements, some haven't worked as well, like the teak at the base of the tiller which can leak as apposed to the raised fiberglass area.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Mark, I like it! If you had some tapered plugs and a spare hose you would be bomb proof. Those 3/4" scupper drains may be big enough to drain the cockpit but are very easily clogged.

You have increased drainage and eliminated components that could fail in a critical application. Not bad. I always wondered how practical seacocks were on cockpit drains that always remain open.

The hose runs on the standard TY set up are horrendous. There just isn't enough room to make nice fair bends. That coupled with the small diameter hose makes for a marginal system as far as I can see.

Good job, Steve.