Insurance

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Wayne Grenier

Insurance

Post by Wayne Grenier »

Has anyone dealt with Progressive insurance? They sent me an ad so I went to their web site and got a quote for insurance for around $400 for a cd 28 insd for 20K plus 100/300 BI and PD-their price is about 1/2 of what I am currently paying and they did not ask for a survey-however-when I asked them to send me a copy of the policy so I could read it and compare it to my current policy (apples to apples) they said they don't do that-they send the policy only after I insure my boat with them and begin making payments-in other words-we will give you a copy of the contract-but only after you agree to the contract-and we start taking your money-I don't do business this way and if something is too good to be true-it usually is-
the amount you pay for insurance doesn't really matter unless you have a company that will actually pay off in the event of a claim-and its the fine print that you have to read-anybody have any experience with progressive or a copy of their boat policy? thanks-
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

progressive

Post by henry hey »

Hey Wayne,

I too found that progressive was a LOT cheaper than (boat US) my prior insurer.

Although I didn't see the actual policy until I got it in the mail, I had gone over the various coverages with the agent on the phone and made sure that I was getting the same or similar coverage for the boat.

I will try to dig up my old policy (I sold my boat) to see what it says specifically. I'll copy it for you if I can.

-henry
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Progressive

Post by Carter Brey »

I have my Sabre 28 insured with Progressive. Here are the particulars:

Bodily injury liability: $100,000 each person/$300,000 each accident.

Property damage liability (includes fuel spill liability): $100,000 each accident.

Uninsured boater: $50,000 each boater/$100,000 each accident.

Medical payments: $1,000 each person.

Comprehensive: agreed value $25,000 ($500 deductible)

Collision: agreed value $25,000 ($500 deductible)

Included with Comprehensive and Collision: Disappearing deductible, wreckage removal, marine electronics.

Emergency watercraft towing and labor: $500 each incident (not sure why I bought this; I have unlimited service with TowBoatUS).

Total 12-month premium: $550.

I'm 54 years old, married,live in New York City. Coastal navigation (75 nm).

Hope this helps.
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

We don't have boat insurance with them but we did have car insurance with them and they handled a claim quickly and fine. Now that you mention it though, I don't think I've ever gotten an insurance policy before I paid for it (from any company, for anything, boat,house, car, etc) - which does seem rather odd. I would be tempted to call them, if I were you and ask why can't you see it before you pay for it, maybe ask for a manager, because it does seem strange that you can't look at it first. I guess I never pushed it. If not, there must be a reason why....
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Ray Garcia

Survey?

Post by Ray Garcia »

I'm more interested in the requirment for the survey. I would find it odd they would insure a boat without a required survey. I had to submit a survey before the policy was written.

Come to think of it I think my 27 must be worth over $50K "wink, wink"
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

survey

Post by henry hey »

I insured my CD25 with two different insurers without a survey.

Granted, a CD25 has a much lower value than a CD27, but perhaps some sort of bluebook (nada) cutoff is coming into play here.

-henry
sealark
"Sea Lark"

I have Progressive

Post by sealark »

I have my CD28 insured with Progressive. My previous policies were all through Boat US. Seems to be same coverages. Definitely the best price I found - and as others stated - they did not need a survey. It is basically a stated value policy - they asked me how much I wanted to insure it for - I told them - and they quoted me a price. I have my Auto Insurance with them also. I had one auto claim before and they handled it very quickly. No complaints.
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Progressive

Post by Evergreen »

I don't know about boat insurance with Progressive, however, after doing extensive research on auto insurance possibilities, we ended up going with Progressive because they were half the price of some of the others and less than all of them for the same or more coverage. I have heard good reports from other Progressive customers.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I have a homeowners and auto insurance with one company. I also have an umbrella policy with them and its all rolled into one "package deal". They also added my boat to it when I asked.

Now don't ask me to quote you specifics about the boat policy because I haven't looked at it for years. But..if you have all of your insurance with one company, you might ask if they'll "add" your boat to the policy. I know its pretty cheap.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Most insurer's will require an insurance survey for older vessels, I don't recall exactly, something like 10 years plus. They will honor the survey for 7 yrs., at least mine does. I had to install co2 and fire detector's, not a big deal. Insurance survey is not as thorough nor as expensive as a pre-purchase survey. Some companies require it be done in the water.
I got a quote from Progressive last year, the limit of 75 miles from home port was the killer for me, but their rates were pretty good. I suppose you can get a rider on your policy if you decide to venture further.....I didn't look into that.
________
COLORADO MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Walsh

75 miles?

Post by Jim Walsh »

I thought the 75 mile limit was a typo the first time. This is severly restricting. Do the rates increase dramatically if this limit is doubled or tripled?
sealark
"Sea Lark"

Not sure about 75 miles from Home Port

Post by sealark »

The 75 miles number scared me to - so I just got home and checked my policy. Not sure of the 75 mile limitation as stated above is correct - at least not with my Progressive policy. The following comes directly from my policy-

"A coastal navigation limit applies to this policy. Watercraft with a coastal navigation limit of 75 nautical miles are not covered for losses that occur more than 75 nautical miles from the coast of the United States or Canada or for losses that occur in any territory or territorial waters of any country other than the United States or Canada."

This is how I understood it - it is not 75 miles from my home port - it is 75 miles from the Coast of the United States.

I just called Progressive and they confirm this.

They also said that I can upgrade my policy to a 125 mile limit - to include territorial waters of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas that are within 125 miles of the United States.
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

I have my boat and motorcycle coverage through Progressive. I had a loss last year and found them to be extremely good to deal with. I would recommend Progressive to anyone.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Dixon Hemphill

Progressive insurance

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

I too have Progressive and am very pleased with both their coverage and their price which is far less than BoatUS.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Russell

Post by Russell »

That is interesting that they do not need a survey. Now that I am in the US for the next year I am insurance shopping (being uninsured in the US is scary), a company that does not require a new survey is very appealing. 75 mile offshore limit is annoying, but I can live with that, its being insured in port and near other sue happy americans that I worry about.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)