CD 28 - club foot jib - and Thanks

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

warrenescape
Hull #260

CD 28 - club foot jib - and Thanks

Post by warrenescape »

First thanks for all the good advice on aux power - my earlier post. In fact I had the engine pulled (Volvo) and completely gone through - spent about 1/2 of a new engine - but not inexpensive.

I am a novice at a club foot jib - and trying to better understand the relationship between the jib boom & clew tension. This weekend I hoisted the jib for the first time - and noticed that if I pulled the clew too far back - tension on the foot would not allow the hanks on the fwd stay to slide easily - makes sense. I am wondering if the relative height of the boom would resolve the issue - because I assume you don't have to adjust (tighten) the clew each time you raise the jib - if I am wrong I may be going to roller furling sooner than I expected!

Also - does the jib make contact with the boom when fully raised? It does not appear that the boom travels that far side-to-side, therefore I have concluded that the sail must have some contact twords the front of the boom and some "shape" as it is let further out. Not too many pictures I have found of teh 28 under sail - if you have some - please let me know.

Finally after several months on the hard - she is in the water and ready for action. After purchasing her in Janurary, I have done quite a few repairs/maintenance, they include, engine overhaul, engine flush-out system added, cleaned & painted engine compartment, added a second hatch (rot around skylight), new interior lighting, replaced ALL running rigging (blocks too), rebuilt all three winches, new jib, new main & jib covers (had a very cool red "C"put on the side of the black main sail cover), added a tach & compass thru the bulkhead, bottom paint (no blisters) and teal refresh - and I still have a pretty good list of projects left!

Conclusion - an inexpensive boat that needs a lot - is not cheap! But at least I know the work is done right - and hopefully most items will last a while.

Thanks - Warren
Stan W.

Sounds like you're missing a jackline.

Post by Stan W. »

The lower hanks on the jib should not be attached directly to the luff but instead should be attached to a jackline which is attached to the luff. The jackline gives you the play you need to hoist the sail without adjusting the clew.

Did your sailmaker know you were going to use this jib with a club boom? If so, he/she should have known that you needed a jackline.
sealark
"Sea Lark"

In the same "boat"

Post by sealark »

I know - bad joke.

I have a CD 28 also - and I am looking to get a jib to fit the club footed boom. I have been looking at used sails? As long as I get one with the dimensions specified in the Owners Manual - will I be OK? Maybe just some minor modifications?

Tagging on to Warren's request - does anyone have any photos of they could send? Trying to go back to original - as a starting point.

All my rigging was gone when I purchased and have been trying to figure it all out.

Thanks - Kevin
warrenescape
Hull #260

talked to the sail maker - "Joe"

Post by warrenescape »

He acknowledges he messed up - but was asking me if anyone knew how many hanks on the sail typically are attahed via the jackline? He has not had that many CD 28's in his shop - if anyone knows or has a pic that would be most helpful - thx - Warren
Stan W.

Original jackline description.

Post by Stan W. »

I converted to roller furling but still have the original equipment club jib gathering dust in my basement. The bottom three hanks are attached to the jackline. The setup is a little more complicated than I remembered. Each of the three attachment points has two grommets in the luff and each grommet has a plastic hank in it. The jackline is spliced onto a seventh grommet above the others, run down through the plastic hanks and the tack cringle and then back up a liittle where it is tied off to itself. The bronze hanks are attached to the jackline between each pair off plastic hanks.

Hopefully JohnB can post some photos which will make this more clear.
warrenescape
Hull #260

jackline - description

Post by warrenescape »

Thanks a lot for the detailed description - will pass on the the sail maker - this should really help - would still appreciate any pics - Thanks & good sailing - Warren
sealark
"Sea Lark"

I just purchased one

Post by sealark »

I just purchased a used jib from a sail loft in St Pete. They said it was off a Cape Dory 28. The dimensions were exact and it has the jack line exactly as described. I will take some pictures and post them.

In case anyone is interested - they have another one - same size - that is supposedly off a Cape Dory 28.
mattlydon

Sorry I missed your post

Post by mattlydon »

Kevin,
sorry I missed your post. I have a 28 that was converted to roller furling, but came with the original sails. Although they're pretty darn worn, I could have given you the sail to match up.

BTW - I have the rest of the rig (boom), pivot (on a fiberglass mount) available.

Matt