WARNING: Private Message with Possible Malware

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

WARNING: Private Message with Possible Malware

Post by Bill Cochrane »

I have received a PM on this board (05:13 today EDT) from "profilicus", subject: Forum Administration. The PM text consists of the words "Important to Read" which is a link to open a Russian web site (http : // megl (dot) ru) which is most likely a malware site.

If anyone else has received a similar PM I strongly recommend deleting it without clicking on the link!
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Unfortunately, I also received the PM. I clicked on the link which brought me to one of those over sea Pharmaceutical adds. I run a script blocker with my browser so that should hopefully have saved me some problems. I'm running virus scan programs at the moment.
s/v CATALPA
1986 CD28 #385
Dartmouth, MA
Dean Abramson

Me too

Post by Dean Abramson »

Yep. I got it too. I deleted, then emptied the trash.
Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Boyd

Me too

Post by Boyd »

I have McAfee and nothing malicious seems to be in the attachment.

Boyd
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

Looks like it's hitting other sites too.

Post by S/V Necessity »

Turns out I have an old SSCA account I forgot about. Got a PM from the same guy (profilicus) Looks like he is hitting other message board out there. Definitely trash it.
Ray Garcia

I got it too. Don't open it, delete it!

Post by Ray Garcia »

Another bane of the internet.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Do not open any "pm" from the user "profilicus". If it still exists within your Inbox, please delete it (it should no longer exist since we deleted the offending user's account). It would be in your message board Inbox, not on the message board itself. Your private messages are accessibe via the board's navigation tools which are located about 4 inches from the top of the message board.

Rest assured that your email address has not been harvested by the spammer 'profilicus'. This clever spammer registered as a message board user and used the 'pm' feature of the message board to contact you. So the message came via the board from notifications@capedory.org and not via an email from the spammer. Don't read the message from 'profilicus', delete it from you message board Inbox. Anyway, it's been taken care of. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cathy
Webmaster-CDSOA, Inc.