Voyaging with a cat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David L

Voyaging with a cat

Post by David L »

My fifteen year old cat has recently become a full-time live-aboard with us on Raven. (We left him with a friend during our recent two-year cruise.) He has adapted very well: food, litter box use, etc.

I am astonished at the amount of (clumping type) cat litter that we get through. I cannot imagine being able to carry enough of the stuff for long distance cruising. My guess is that cat litter isn't readily available in the Caribbean or the third world.

Also, I bought an enclosed style of litter box, with door, to contain odors. It takes up soooo much room in the quarter berth.

I have never seen this addressed in cruising books or magazines. For those who cruise with a cat, what do you do regarding litter box type, encouraging its use, litter type, disposal, minimizing odors, etc?

Thanks,
David
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Fine pebbles

Post by Joe Myerson »

David,

Several years ago I read an article in Cruising World by a singlehander who traveled the world in a wooden boat with her cat. If I remember correctly, she rigged up an old pan from a cafeteria steam table (a square pan with a perforated liner) with smooth beach pebbles.

Her cat got used to using the pebbles, and she could wash them out periodically. This arrangement seemed to satisfy the feline and the owner.

I can't remember the cruiser's name, but as a cat owner, I did remember her solution.

It might be worth a try.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Tom Javor

litter option

Post by Tom Javor »

With last summer's addition of a Maine Coon kitten to the household zoo I decided to try the newer silica gel litters. same basic material that is used as a dessicant in shipping electronics etc

It may well answer some of your concerns though availabiliy outside the US may continue to be a challenge. It is MUCH lighter weight than traditional or clumping litters so having an occasional container shipped might be an option. The brand I get at Target coms in a convnient plastic container which is easily used for oher stuff once it's emptied. I get 2 box changes out of one container that is around 12 bucks.

Seems like alot for the cat to relieve hmself in but I've become a belilever in it. Rather than the liquid forming clumps it is actually absorbed into the individual crystals. Solids are almost dehydrated after a few hours. I don't recall there being a decline in eficiency of odor control in last summer's humidity - though he was just a handful at that point so it's tough to say.

I have found that I need to completely change the box about every 4 weeks - and this is with it being used 24/7 by a LARGE cat. (Bert is now 10 months and about 18 pounds) In between changes I scoop solids regularly but never have to top up the litter level.

This box is in the house so the proximity issue is different, however I have radiant heat so normal litters get pretty fragrant during the heating season.

With an older cat - who won't use the silica for some reason and has a separate box with the old style non clumping clay litter - I have an aerosol dispenser of a lysol product on the wall over the box in the workshop. The can in it lasts 6 to 8 weeks, battery about a year and it gives a fast spray every 30 - 45 minutes. The spray is not floral scented - just a neutralizing agent. Also from Target.
TJ
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

train him/her to use the head... I'm NOT being a smart aleck..My brother's cat uses the toilet. You just have to remember to leave the lid up....
Randy 25D Seraph #161
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

rtbates wrote:train him/her to use the head... I'm NOT being a smart aleck..My brother's cat uses the toilet. You just have to remember to leave the lid up....
Years ago I remember seeing a device advertised for this sort of training. You would start out with litter in a pan that fit on the toilet and slowly get them to the point where they would use it without the litter (lots of drain holes in the pan). After a while, they would learn to "perch & perform" with no pan at all. In fact, There was a video of one cat was even taught to flush! The flushing part might be a stretch for most marine heads... :oops:
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Queen Elvis

Toilet training your cat

Post by Queen Elvis »

I tried that with my dearly loved and now departed Elvis (after whom my boat is named) and his brother, and they *almost* got it together. There's this kit you can buy that covers your toilet seat, you cover it with litter, then create and slowly enlarge a hole in the seat until you're back to just the seat.

My boys hated it with a passion from the very beginning, so I had to give up. But I really wanted it to work, and now I'm thinking if taking my new kitten on board with me, it would be a big help.

Give it a shot. It works for a few cats, but not for many, as far as I have heard.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

mgphl52 wrote:...The flushing part might be a stretch for most marine heads...:
Partky because, even if they learned how, they might not, just out of sheer perversity? :)

I haven't trained a cat aboard, but my experience with those ashore suggests that they really want to be neat. If your cat is happy with you, and with the boat, I believe they will adapt to any "litter regimen" that meets their basic requirements.

This is borne out by the stories above.

If the cat isn't happy being aboard, though, one of their primary ways of sharing their feelings with you will be their "non-compliance".

On another note: There is a hilarious story in one of Miles Smeeton's books, about a puppy who was trained to use a coconut "welcome mat". He was frantic when they got ashore, but 'very relieved" when he spotted the welcome mat at the Lieutenant-Governor's mansion!
Queen Elvis

What about Cat Over Board?

Post by Queen Elvis »

That's my main concern about bringing a cat on board and I would appeciate hearing your views on this.

The guy I'm buying my new boat from has a picture of his cat on the spreaders while sailing past the Statue of Liberty! Me - I'm not so sure I want my cat to know where the spreaders are...

I also don't want to lose him over the side, either while sailing or moored.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

C O B

Post by Oswego John »

I can't comment on a cat falling overboard while sailing.

One of my sailing friends has his cat on board most of the time. Cats are fairly good swimmers but it seems that they don't like to be in the water. My cat doesn't even like to get her feet wet. She'll take a step, shake the paw. Take another step, shake another paw. It's kinda funny to watch her walk through wet grass.

Anyhow, when my friend is tied up in a slip or at anchor, he suspends what looks like a bath sized Turkish towel on each side of the cockpit and down into the water. I suppose that if the cat went overboard, the cat could have something to set the claws into and clamber back aboard.

I would hate to see or hear of anyone losing their pet that way.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Russell

Post by Russell »

I have not had a problem finding cat litter anywhere in the caribbean. Cruising for years now with my cat in the caribbean. South pacific is likely another story though.

I tend to buy about 80lbs of the stuff at a time and store it in the quarterberth behind the cat box.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

In case you missed it, there was this related thread earlier:
http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

We do everything we can do to keep Maggie on board. But that does mean that we are cramping her style some, and it also means that we don't get to enjoy watching her roam the deck free. We'd just rather have her along, so this is our compromise. We think she prefers it to being left at home, but who knows.

But the stories we have heard of cats going over the side are too heartbreaking. So we err on the side of caution. Spreaders!? Not.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
David L

Post by David L »

My thanks to everyone who responded. I'll look for the silica gel litter next time I'm in Target and I'll check into all the other suggestions. Thanks, too, for the link to the February 2009 thread re cats. I'd completely missed it.

Best regards,
David
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

litter

Post by Shipscarver »

I love the gel litter. One container is good for 1 1/2 months. I scoop and shake daily and it seems to last, odor free far longer than other types. To insure no odor (is hard to tell if you are always there) I mix it well and add a shallow layer of new over the top each week.
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf