Aligning tiller and rudder

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

karlheim

Aligning tiller and rudder

Post by karlheim »

I have a Cape Dory 25. It was just hauled out to pain the bottom when I noticed that the rudder was off center when the tiller was on the centerline. I tried to loosen the bronze fitting on the top of the rudder. But I have had no luck. Does anyone have any ideas.

Frustrated cruiser
KHcruiser
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I don't remember exactly how it works but I remember there is a clamping bolt/screw, a setscrew and a half-moon key. Both screws had to be loosened to release the tiller. If you have an offset, I would guess that the key is missing. Try to find a key before you reassemble -- I am sure they are standard hardware items.

I will try to look at mine tonight and see if it jogs my memory.

Jeff
karlheim

Post by karlheim »

I took the bolt out that squeezes the bronze fitting making it tight to the rudder post. This bolt was in the back of the rudder post. In the front of the rudder post directly on the centerline is a bolt that also goes up against the rudder post. I took this one out. I then thought that my friend on the ground could move the rudder while I held the tiller in the center. NO Luck. Even with very hard force.

By the way before the boat was hauled when I sailed I had to have the tiller almost in my chest to come about on one tack but not the other. I knew something was wrong.
KHcruiser
s calder

same problem

Post by s calder »

I had the same problem on my 25 and I fixed it by grinding the keyway slightly wider on the side that allowed the rudder and tiller to line up...then I inserted a shim on the other side of the key to take up the space resulting from widening the other side...re-assembled and it has been fine for 3+ years...and the tiller is aligned perfectly.
S. Calder sv Falcon
karlheim

Post by karlheim »

Thanks for your reply. But I'm lost! Where is the "keyway"? And how do you reach it? If it is under the bronze cap on top of the rudder post, I can't seem to get that off. It seems to be frozen on. I have tried hitting the cap using a block of wood and a hammer. But I am afraid to damage the cap. The boat is a 1980 and I don,t think it has ever been removed.
KHcruiser
s calder

Post by s calder »

The rudder cap should come off after the clamp bolt is loosened...with some outward force along the axis of the rudder post. Maybe try prying with a lever (ie: pry bar elevated on a block of wood so you don't damage the teak moulding or the cockpit sole). It should definitely come off...it can't rust on because the post is stainless and the cap is bronze and the key is stainless. As a last resort you could try some heat applied to the cap to expand it.
S. Calder sv Falcon
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

There are such things as offset keys. Hard to find but easy to have a fabricated at a machine shop.
Have A Nice Day
Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Rudder / Tiller

Post by Dave Brandt »

Mine is a 1976 and it also is slightly misaligned, I just live with it.

When I removed the bronze fitting from the rudder shaft, I used some penetrating oil and carefully drove a wedge into the slot on the fitting to break it free. I was surprised to find the key was mild steel. Application of some heat would help, just don't get to aggressive with it.

Dave
karlheim

Post by karlheim »

Thank you for the info I will give it a try as you have suggested.

fair winds,..Karl
KHcruiser