RESTORATION OF A CD 10 HULL

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jay

RESTORATION OF A CD 10 HULL

Post by Jay »

I've recently purchased a CD 10, from the original owner, with certificate and all. It even has the brass plaque on the transom.

I've completed most of the sanding of the hull, although there are a few spots yet to be done. What are the thoughts, and lessons learned, from those of you who have restored one of these boats, on the steps to be taken, and materials to be used, once the hull is sanded down.

My thoughts are to fair out the hull, next, fill any low spots and fare again. Then, apply some first coat, a barrier coat or undercoat, and then a few coats of hull paint. Your thoughts?

Also, what is a fail-safe method of lining up for a boot stripe?

Jay
Portsmouth, RI
Chris L
Harbor Beach, MI

Post by Chris L »

I would recommend checking out West System for information on the fairing and fixing of the hull. They have a nice little guide for fiberglass boat repair and restoration. I have used their products on the restoration of a wooden wayfarer a couple years ago. I found Wests products easy to use and gave a satisfactory result. I'm sure other brands would work similarly but I have not tried them.

Once the boat is fair you could do a barrier coat and then prime and paint. For that I would look at the directions for what ever products you are planning on using and following the recommendations for undercoaters and primers that are recommended. The last thing you want to do after all that work is find out the products are not compatible.

Good luck and have fun, this is the type of project I enjoy! Post some pics if you can.