waving

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Leonard Lookner

waving

Post by Leonard Lookner »

Here is a question that I have been meaning to ask the board every winter.

We wave when close to another boat. Working boats, Lobstermen in our area generally wave back but we have found that recreational power boats infrequently and sail boats less frequently return a greeting, to the point that a Cape Dory 30 last summer looking right at us and failed to acknowledge our wave. It is a nice gesture that We don't wish to give up but folks We wonder is this the way boating is going?
M. R. Bober

Re: waving--use of fingers

Post by M. R. Bober »

Leonard Lookner wrote:Here is a question that I have been meaning to ask the board every winter.

We wave when close to another boat. Working boats, Lobstermen in our area generally wave back but we have found that recreational power boats infrequently and sail boats less frequently return a greeting, to the point that a Cape Dory 30 last summer looking right at us and failed to acknowledge our wave. It is a nice gesture that We don't wish to give up but folks We wonder is this the way boating is going?
Do you use all fingers, simultaneously, when waving? :wink:

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where we are digitally correct,) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Bruce Bett
Member # 1160

Maybe It's a regional Thing.

Post by Bruce Bett »

Maybe It's a regional Thing. On the Lakes everybody waves.

Bruce
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

I agree with Bruce

Post by Joe Myerson »

In my waters (Buzzards Bay, MA), sometimes the workboats don't wave. But powerboats and sailboats generally do. In fact, if you don't wave, it seems rude.
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Waving Back

Post by Oswego John »

Here in Oswego, the chicks blow kisses back at me. :D

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Len

Waving

Post by Len »

I find that most sailors wave. Lobsterman wave when they can. They are working after all and need their hands, so I excuse them if they don't wave back. I don't wave to boaters of any sort who cross directly in front of my bow at 20 knots. I occasionally wish sailboats came with steering wheel horns.

I have been told that when there were few cars on the road , when meeting they honked or waved or both. By the 1960's this practice diminished. Only import cars of the same make when passing each other flashed their lights ,honked or waved. I believe this practice has completely (or nearly) died. Traveling the interstates when my kids were young. The kids would move their arms as if they were hauling on a train whistle and the truckers would ablige with a long toot. This practice too seems to have fallen by the wayside.

I hope that people continue the tradition of waving. It may mean little to those in tightly crowded anchorages but when you see a boat about to cross or near your path an acknowledgment still means something. Certainly if you watch a boat on the horizon and trace its path towards you , failing to wave when crossing paths would seem to be an insult!.

Len
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

In our snowed in neck of the woods we always wave or wave back regardless of the type of craft.

Len I have to say that the last time downeast I did notice that some times people did not wave back but the working boats always did . The more west you go the less responce. ( remember I go west to downeast).

Phil
Russell

Post by Russell »

Everywhere I have cruised people tend to wave back or instigate a wave. I see little difference between work boats, powerboats, sail, charter, megayacht, ships, local, etc... people of the sea tend to recognize and appreciate our unique community.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
John Danicic

serial waver

Post by John Danicic »

Drive through South Dakota off the interstate some time. Everybody still waves there. Also, if you are driving an older car or pickup in the country in Minnesota or Wisconsin, people in like vehicles will wave back. In the city, people can't wave because they have their hands full talking on the phone, eating breakfast or surfing the internet.

On Lake Superior, I always wave. I make a point of it. I all but insist that who I wave to at least acknowledge the gesture. Sailboats, power boats, excursion boats, I wave to them all. If I am close enough to see people aboard, I wave. There are few commercial fishing boats left but they will wave to you if you wave to them. It is a reluctant, tired motion but an acknowledgment that they share the same waters as you do. Waving is a good way to connect with and affect others. The world would be a better place if we all took notice of each other and acknowledged that we share the same point in time and space. It takes but a brief moment to lift ones hand and smile.

Sail on

John Danicic
CD36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior - The Apostle Islands
CDSOA # 655
wingreen

Re: Waving Back

Post by wingreen »

Oswego John wrote:Here in Oswego, the chicks blow kisses back at me. :D

O J
NOW you're in Wingreentown...
wingreen

Post by wingreen »

I was way the heck out in the Gulf one day w/ my family in a sweet little 15' gaff rig, when I waved at a motor boat passing by. It apparently tweeked his curiosity to see 4 people so far out in a little sailboat, so he slowed down to see if we were ok. I waved him on and told him I was only saying hi. He went on and we chuckled about it. I suppose waving has become a bit of a curiosity.
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

We have been disappointed also

Post by Evergreen »

We also wave at most sailboats, work boats, and polite powerboats who try not to rock us too much. However, we also have been very disappointed with the lack of response that we get. We have considered giving up the practice, but then someone comes along and rewards us once so we carry on again. Much to our surprise the professional work boats seem to always wave back. At times we have even considered not waving to them so that they would not feel obligated to interrupt their work, but they never seem to mind. We have found that most of the folks who don't acknowledge us are those in the "new plastic" boats and also the very large boats. Perhaps the type of boat you own is an indicator of ones personality and values in life.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I love the little wave I get from the 45 foot power boat guys who zoom past me, throwing a big wake, making my boat roll 30 degrees side to side. Then the jerk sitting high up on the flying bridge waves.

It always produces a laugh of disbelief from me! Every time!!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Hard for power boaters to wave while bouncing too fast through waves/wakes while simultaneously steering boat and holding cell phone, cigarette and beer can.

Anyway, the culture in Boston Harbor depends on traffic. On a slower day, you wave more. If it's busy, there may be too many boats for personal contact so you parse the waving using a complex formula based on relative course and speed, closest point of approach, sail vs. power, point of sail, position of the sun and a host of other factors.

Once clear of the harbor, any sailboat close enough to see my arm wagging around will get a wave. A Cape Dory will get a wave and possibly a course change for a closer approach.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Neil Gordon wrote: A Cape Dory will get a wave and possibly a course change for a closer approach.

I will sometimes alter course to take a better look at or hail another boat. More often than not the other boat will veer off. This action is taken regardless of who has the right of way. I never cut across their bow or come anywhere near a situation where one might think there would be a collision.

Maybe it is different in more crowded waters.

Once this summer I altered course slightly while overtaking another boat heading from Vineyard Sound to Block Island. I made a point of putting some shorts on so as not to offend. Most of the time I just sit down if a boat gets close. I felt a bit embarrassed when the other guy was completely naked and didn't bother to hide the fact. Not that it really bothered me but I did feel I had invaded his personal space.

Everybody waves in the winter season, Steve.