where to put that new traveler?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Pierre Gremaud
Location: CD 25 #146, Pin-Up and Sabre 36, Grayce, Belhaven, NC

where to put that new traveler?

Post by Pierre Gremaud »

Dear fellow Cape Dorians,

I could not stand the thought of spending another sailing season struggling with the original, archaic, finger altering, borderline dangerous original traveler on my 1973 CD 25. So, I removed it this weekend.

Now, there is precious little room between the cockpit opening and the lazarette's cover where the defunct traveler was. In fact, I could not find a decent modern traveler which fits in that 1"3/16 space. So, I am considering two options regarding where to put the new traveler.

1. Following Dave Brandt's lead with his breathtaking restoration of Prairie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9447350@N0 ... 596173271/

install an additional teak plank and install the traveler on it. The advantages are: it's a beautiful setup, things stay out of the cockpit (see 2 below). Disadvantages: I have neither Dave's skills nor patience.

2. Simply install the new traveler from bench to bench at the rear of the cockpit. Advantages: very simple to install, no issue with camber. Disadvantages: eats (a little) space from cockpit, possibility of mainsheet rubbing on coaming boards or life lines(?)

I would really appreciate hearing both from folks having gone through this already or anyone with a piece of advice. I don't think the issue is traveler specific: the problem arises regardless of whether you're looking at Harken (my personal favorite), Garhauer, Ronstan or Schaefer. It is, however, very boat specific.

Thanks for your help.

Pierre
Dave H

bridgedeck traveler

Post by Dave H »

Hi {ierre,
A previous owner of "Puffin" relocated the mainsheet traveler to the bridgedeck. I really like it there. It's very handy for me when I'm singlehanding. And it's very handy to everyone when others are on board.
Dave
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Traveler Location

Post by Sea Owl »

Pierre;

Like you, I am frustrated with my old Traveler. Also like you, I do not have the talent to do what many on this board seem able to do with fiberglass and sandpaper.

Some food for thought. Dave Brandt spent a minimum of 3 years doing nothing but work on his boat. Now she looks better than new (and I am in awe of his work!). I have only had Sea Owl for 2 1/3 seasons, but I have sailed her as much as I can, and continued to plug away at projects to overcome a number of years of neglect. Her exterior is coming up, but the interior, wiring.....(extensive list!)....still needs to be done. I can say the rigging is all shipshape, as is anything that has to do with moving the boat safely.

So, when I get ready to do what you are considering, I will put a new track right where the old one is. I am not a cabinetmaker type woodworker, and I can't see where else to put it. A cabin mount would need a 'bridge' over the hatch, probably have to be fabricated, and be a pain in the behind to work the lines I want to bring aft to that location for single handing. Plan B might be to build a HIGH bridge at about the same location it is now aft, and have a 'high' traveler. I personally don't like that one.

So, for my money, I would replace it right where it is. Fill the old screw holes with fiberglass, sand, and redrill for the new track.

But then my emphasis with my boat is sailing, not fixing up! I guess because I don't feel I have the talent to do the jobs I see the talent on this board doing, but I can at least make the boat move in the general direction I want!

Good luck, and post pictures for the rest of us! And remember, you only have to make yourself happy with the result!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Pierre Gremaud

Post by Pierre Gremaud »

Thanks Sea Owl (and Dave).

The thing is, new traveler systems will NOT fit where the old traveler was: the track will, the car will not (all the models I have seen are too wide). Hence the initial question.

Pierre
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

Hi Pierre,

I hope I am using the term "bridgedeck" correctly. I'm referring to the area at the foreward end of the cockpit, just aft of the companionway. On "Puffin", a Typhoon Senior, the bridgedeck has very nice height and width. Having the main traveler there is very ergonomic for me. I'm in an excellent position for the work of sheeting in. I also find that foreward position very handy for my fine tuning, and for others to work with the main sheet. The downside would be that the mainsheet there is a bit of an obstacle for movement between the cockpit and the campanionway. It has not been a problem.

What I don't know about is the engineering considerations of mid boom sheeting. I see that the forces applied to the middle of the boom, both while sailing, and when she's tied up, are different than if the force was applied at the end of the boom. I hope someone with engineering expertise can comment.

My only experience with a cabintop traveler was on a San Juan 24. It was a limited experience, but I felt it was not an ideal position ergonomicly.

On my friend's Flicka, the main sheet is led to the aft life rail. I really don't understand that. I presume that Pacific Seacraft designed that life rail to handle that load.

My humble opinions and observations, FWIW.

Dave
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Bridge Deck Traveler

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Pierre,

I bought my 25D with the traveler relocated to the bridge deck. It's an arrangement that has its plusses and minuses.

Plusses: When sailing singlehanded, which is most of the time for me, it's very easy to fine-tune the traveler. It took me a while to get used to it, but it works and gives me lots more mainsail control than the conventional traveler arrangement that came with most Cape Dory boats.

Minuses: The bridgedeck is my wife's favorite place to sit--or it would be if the traveler wasn't there. I don't have a dodger, and snugging up to the cabin bulkhead is a good way to get out of the wind.

Also, having the mainsheet right in front of the companionway interferes with movement into and out of the cabin.

I have contemplated relocating my traveler back to the afterdeck, but the cost of a new unit, even from Garhauer, and the time required to remove the existing unit and fill the holes have prevented me from doing so.

Anyway, these are some of the points to consider.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Traveler and End Boom Sheeting

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Like Joe, I have a 25D. Last year I replaced the original traveler in the original location with little trouble (check the board for description). End Boom sheeting on such a small boat has huge advantages in keeping the main sheet out of the fwd part of the cockpit, facilitating access forward and into the cabin. I got my gear from Rigging Only in Fairhaven, MA. They provide very good advice as well as product. A functional traveler is a big asset, I found. And out of the way is the best location.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
tartansailor

Been There, Am Doing That

Post by tartansailor »

Tossed the old teak board in front of the old track.
New car is 2&1/2" wide.
Bought a piece of 5/4 teak. The top radius of arc is 62' 6" on mine.
New track is 1&1/16" wide.
Am having a cabinet maker cut the top & (bottom 62'3") radii.
New teak will be bolted to the vertical face of the engine compartment.
Will show photos' when completed.
Dick
Pierre Gremaud

Post by Pierre Gremaud »

Dick,

I look forward to seeing these pictures... I may to have to take a decision before that though.

Glad to see I am not the only one going through this.

Pierre
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Traveler Mounting

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi:
I realize that mounting a traveler on a CD-28 isn't the same as a CD-25, but I too, had car interference issues, so perhaps you can get some ideas from my installation:
http://www.jibeho.org/Traveler.htm

Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
Amgine

Issues moving to mid-boom sheeting

Post by Amgine »

I'm not an engineer, but as I understand it the forces involved in mid-boom sheeting are higher as the available lever arm is reduced and less of the load is in compression/more of the load is in sheer.

Common rigging solutions to the problem include spreading the load to multiple points on the boom, and increasing the number of parts to the main sheet, as well as increasing the size/strength of the boom.

One of the pluses of mid-boom sheeting not mentioned here is reduced twist in the sail off the wind/reduced need for the vang. However, you may want to talk with your sailmaker about the cut of the main because there is also less twist on the wind, and your main's shape was probably cut for more twist.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

As a CD-30 owner with mid boom sheeting, I would also point out that this arrangement takes up a lot of valuable space on the cabin top. This is an area where you might want to place, a dinghy, life raft, solar panel, sun shower, fenders, boarding ladder or potted plants, well maybe not all of these items but you get the idea. There isn't a dinghy short enough to fit on my cabin top with the mid boom sheeting.

Life is a compromise, Steve.
Pierre Gremaud

Finished!

Post by Pierre Gremaud »

Hi folks,

I have done it...

I chose to leave the traveler as close to where it was before as possible. As there was not enough room, the new traveler is installed on a new teak plank at the end of the cockpit. The new plank, not visible in the picture below, is about the same size as the "old" one, which holds the name plate, but thicker (about 1"3/4). It is firmly bolted to the fiberglass underneath, with proper backing. This took several trips into cockpit lockers, a thing I could easily do without for some time now...

The fasteners you see on the picture go through the old and new planks and the fiberglass but are not primarily responsible for holding the whole thing in place.

The traveler itself is from Garhauer. It is the smallest model they have; I asked them to put a little bend in the track. This is a nice piece of equipment, although maybe on the heavy side. I was initially thinking of going with Harken, but the difference in price was just too much. And yes, in case you are wondering, I can close the lazarette and the car can still move. After a couple of outings, no problem to report.

Pierre

[img]http://www4.ncsu.edu/~gremaud/TMP/DSC02650_1.JPG[/img]
Amgine

Post by Amgine »

Very pretty, Pierre! Congratulations!
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I think you made a good choice with Garhauer. I replaced mine last year with their unit and.......what a difference, and a pleasure to use. Great quality and engineering. Guido,(the boss) is a piece of work.
________
Nevada medical marijuana dispensary
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.