Cruise to Florida

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dixon Hemphill

Cruise to Florida

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

I am tentatively planning a cruise from Annapolis to Tampa, Florida this summer. Three questions directed those who have sailed these waters ;

1. How many miles is the trip? Guides are quite confusing as to distances.
2. Is it possible to follow the ICW all the way in a CD28 with a 4.5'draft?
3. What "words of wisdom" can you give me?

Dixon Hemphill
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
sealark
"Sea Lark"

ICW

Post by sealark »

Dixon,

I did a trip from Miami to Norfolk a couple years ago in a Pearson 35. I believe it had a 3'9" draft. I did most of the trip in the the ICW - from St. Augustine all the way to Norfolk.

It was a very enjoyable trip. Running about 8 - 10 hours a day at probably 5 knots - I think it took me a little over 3 weeks.

I would highly recommend a book called "The Intercoastal Waterway" by Jan & Bill Moeller. It is a spiral bound book with mile by mile info (ICW) with everything from cool restaurants to good anchorages. I used this book the entire trip. It has the name and opening schedule of every bridge you need to go through - which is very helpful. Some schedules may have changed - but the info is very valuable.

As far as the draft issue - I had no real issues at all. I went aground one time near St. Augustine - but it could have easily been avoided. I would highly discourage trying to navigate at night in the ICW. It gets a little shallow in Northern Florida - but as long as you follow your charts - you will be fine.

All in all - it was probably one of the most enjoyable trips I have ever taken - especially if you have time to stop off along the way and enjoy some of the great little towns along the ICW.

As for the rest of your trip - not much experience with anything north of Norfolk. I currently live in St Petersburg - I have done plenty of gulf sailing on this side - but I have never done the ICW on the West Coast of FL.

Good luck and enjoy the trip. Look me up when you get to Tampa Bay - I also have a CD 28.

Kevin
Dixon Hemphill

Trip to Florida

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Many thanks, Kevin. This gives me a pretty good idea as to what to expect. Your comments are much appreciated. I assume during the next few days other sailors who have made this trip will respond as well. All comments will be greatly appreciated.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Dixon

Kevin's remarks are good.

On running at night - the nights belong to tugs and you don't want to have a passing event with one.

For Charts I will strongly recommend Maptech Chart Books. That will allow you to get off the magenta line if you want. Also Skipper Bob, both Marinas and Anchorages. The one thing you need to do is check with your insurance company - most policies written for non Florida residents take a very dim view of us going that far south during the hurricane season.

A good trip, with your draft there will be a few places to be careful. My draft is 5 1/2 and I've had to wait for the tide a few times and done my share of acting as an "Aid to Navigation".

http://my.boatus.com/forum/forum_topics ... D=136&PN=1
http://www.atlintracoastal.org/mc/page.do
http://www.cruisersnet.net/
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Andy Denmark

Atlantic ICW

Post by Andy Denmark »

Dixon,

I have made a retirement career running the ICW and have netted over 200 trips in that time as a Delivery Captain.

The advice you've received is excellent. For years I relied almost solely on the latest edition of the Moeller book and the Maptech Chartkits. I've recently discovered another book that is now part of my ICW "travel with" books. It is Managing the Waterway by Mark and Diana Doyle. This book fills in a lot of the blanks left by the other two publications I mentioned.

Bill Watson in Kittiwake (CD-28) turned me on to the Doyle book and he is now in the middle of his 4th seasonal trip between Annapolis and Marathon, Florida. Bill is a wealth of information on the ICW mostly by recent personal experience, especially the liveaboard factors that aren't covered in any publication I know of. Bill lives 24/7/365 aboard Kittiwake. He checks into this board every so often so keep your eyes open for him.

If my beat up old body is still intact enough come this fall I'll be joining the snowbirds around Nov. 1st for a leisurely trek -- in my own CD-27 for a welcome change -- down the ICW to winter in the Keys and Bahamas!

With major real estate development projects going on along the ICW - condos, large scale marinas, golf courses, waterfront housing, etc., it is only a matter of time before this beautiful resource will disappear before our eyes. Take this opportunity to explore the ICW while it still has lots of natural beauty and unspoiled waterfront. It can be the trip of a lifetime.
________
Mercury Meta One History
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

"Words of Wisdom"

Post by Evergreen »

I live in Florida.

Unless you have no other choice do not plan a cruise to Florida in the summer.

It will be very hot, humid, and buggy, and you will have minimal if any wind. In addition, your insurance rates will go up significantly if they cover you at all.

The "snowbirds" go north in the summer for good reason.

Best wishes,
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Russell

Post by Russell »

If you do not already have it, BoatUS tow insurance is essential for the ICW, your likelyhood of going aground is high and the insurance is only about $100-$150 (while a tow is far more0.

Other then the books already mentioned, the Skipper Bob books are good as well.

Be sure to do the Dismal Swamp route in VA, its a real highlight especially since your draft allows for it.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Kittiwake

Kittiwake in the ICW

Post by Kittiwake »

The trip from Norfolk to the Keys, and up the West Coast of Florida is very doable in a Cape Dory 28 - draft really isn't much of an issue in the channel. I would agree with the comment that summer isn't the best time to do FL, Kittiwake and I will be leaving Boot Key Harbour sometime late March to mid April to start heading up to the Chesapeake, the end of year 4 making the trip. I also agree with most of the comments on guides, and having either TowboatUS or Seatow plan - the unlimited plan for either is about $120, and more than worth it. The stops along the way, whether for supplies or to enjoy the towns and folks along the way, are a lot of the fun of the trip - that's how I met Andy Denmark, and a lot of other good people. There are also a number of good 24 hr jumps outside. Will be happy to answer any general or specific questions - there are a number of things that I've noted that make the ICW trip safer and less of a hassle compared to "usual sailing". Started thinking of a guidebook that would be titled "It ain't rocket science, and it isn't your usual sailing trip, either." Most of the things on the list so far are common sense, or at least have become that way to me singlehanding, although they weren't in the beginning.
Bill Watson
Doug Fallin

ICW Stuart through Okechobee

Post by Doug Fallin »

If you decide to follow the ICW through Florida, pay close attention to the channel, especially at Stuart (when you turn west until you cross under the bridges). Don't cut this path short, you will run aground. Also, when you enter Lake Okechobee, follow the rim around. Water can be very skinny on the lake. Besides, the rim is more scenic than crossing the middle. One more thing. Mosquitos are bad from South Carolina down. Stop before sunset, set up your netting or mosquito coils. Otherwise, it can be a sleepless night. Enjoy the trip, take your time and lots of pictures.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I have researched my question on this board before posting. This thread seems to be an appropriate place to ask this question.

If someone was thinking of motoring and/or sailing a Cape Dory 25D or possibly a Cape Dory 27 from the area around the New York or New Jersey (Perth Amboy, New Brunswick) to Southeast Florida when would be the latest in the year that you should depart that area :?:

Armond P., I believe you live in New Jersey and I think you have transited the ICW several times to Florida and the Bahamas. If not too much trouble, I would welcome your input and advise. It is admittedly speculation at this time but I am trying to consider and weigh my financial options and obligations in advance of making any trips north to inspect a few Cape Dory sailboats.

Andy D., I seem to recall you have done the ICW 200+ times. I would welcome your input as well.

My reason for asking is as follows:

There are a few Cape Dory sailboats that I would like to look at in the Northeast region. My funds are currently very limited. :cry: I have even resigned myself to selling S/V Tadpole in order to afford to move up to a larger Cape Dory. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Overland transport costs are expensive. I am thinking of considering the possibility of motoring from the NY/NJ area (or wherever in the Northeast I find my Cape Dory) to Miami. For someone who has only sailed on Biscayne Bay in nice weather with calm sea conditions this alone is a scary thought.

From what I have read in this and other threads, a trip of that length should take 4-5 weeks or longer depending on weather, etc., and obviously longer still if further north. I will be out of the country from about 15 Oct to about 15 Nov. Realistically, I could not begin a trip until early to mid-Dec. 2010. I am thinking this may be too late to start motoring south. From what I have read it seems like the latest departure dates should be late Sep or early Oct.

I would very much appreciate the thoughts of this board on latest realistic departure dates from the Northeast to South Florida via ICW. I thank you in advance for your time and effort in responding to this post and sincerely hope I am not wasting anyone's time. I know it is valuable, especially at this time of the year.

Thank you.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Dick Barthel

Newbie No Longer

Post by Dick Barthel »

Robert,

You certainly won't be a newbie after that trip! Is this the same guy who used to think he couldn't handle the sail area of a 25D?

Good luck on your adventure. You certainly won't regret the D or the 27.

Dick
Andy Denmark

Sea Hunt

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hi Robert,

Just saw your posting RE: tentative fall 2010 ICW trip and and offer the following.

The preceding posts list the books you'll need for planning and actual navigating. You might also want to supplement Chartkits, Moeller and Doyle with Skipper Bob's publications plus start reading Claiborne Young's Cruisersnet (Salty Southeast) bbs. These should give you some flavor as to what you propose.

Bill Watson (Kittiwake) and Jim Davis (Isa Lei) are also experienced with this route and are sources of good advice based on "been there, done that" experience. I'm sure there are many more on this Board who can also offer valuable suggestions.

Personally, I don't go further north than the CD Canal after Oct 15 although I have left there as late as Dec. 1 when I was younger. The problem that late is, of course, the weather, especially cold. Generally, if you can get to Oriental at Thanksgiving then you'll have reasonably good luck with the weather IF you plan to go sunrise to sunset until about St. Augustine. This equates to marina stops about every 3 days because you'll be anchoring out due to the spacing of the anchorages & marinas that will allow this 11 hour/day running schedule. On a 25-D I would PLAN (only) on about a 4.5 mph average (not knots -- the ICW is calibrated in statute miles. Jim is right about night travel -- you simply don't do it because of commercial traffic and the occasional flotsam that you need to see to avoid.

Planning on a daily basis is the key and it's simply not predictable enough to take in the variables ahead of time. There are always unpredictable and unplanned stops in sometimes awkward places. There are lay days due to weather, maintenance, or sometimes to simply rest after a few continuous days of "making miles." Marina stops are usually crammed with things to do -- groceries, supplies, hardware, Rx. fuel, etc. and must also be planned for places where these amenities are found . A nice restaurant usually gets thrown into this mix (ahem). Also, if you're in a hurry please don't take an animal!

The ICW is not for everyone. On my last delivery (CD-36 from Oriental to Georgetown, SC, last December) one of the crew declared he would never go on another ICW trip again -- and meant it. The concentration factor is high enough for most newbies to be somewhat intimidated until they learn the ropes. Count on running aground a few times so learning the drill and having BOAT/US unlimited towing insurance are requirements.

Get the boat to Oriental by Thanksgiving and I'll consider taking you to Charleston on a "teaching" voyage. It's from Oriental south that things can get interesting. One last thing - if you do all the economics I think you'll see that sailing the boat down is considerably cheaper than transporting by truck and the attendant costs plus it's a lot easier on the boat.

I'm on this board somewhat sporadically but will be happy to answer questions you may have. If you make this trip a reality then you will certainly be a full-fledged "frog" when you arrive home.

Andy
________
Extreme Q Vaporizer
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:47, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Re: Newbie No Longer

Post by Sea Hunt »

Dick Barthel wrote:
You certainly won't be a newbie after that trip! Is this the same guy who used to think he couldn't handle the sail area of a 25D?

Good luck on your adventure.
My good friend Dick:

Wooooo. You are getting way ahead of things. I posted only to get an idea of the time frames involved and when was the latest I could depart. If I do anything (and it is a very big "IF"), whether this Fall or next Spring (as suggested by Melissa) it will almost definitely be with an experienced Cape Dory sailor who is very familiar with the ICW.

Melissa:

I thought I read your post earlier but for some reason it now does not show up on my computer. I wonder why :?: :?: I assume it is some kind of computer glitch. Anyways, from what I recall of your post you suggested not leaving in Dec and waiting until Spring and that a lot of marinas, etc. close up along the northern part of the ICW by November and it may be difficult to get fuel, etc. I very much appreciate your comments and recommendations.

Andy:

Thanks very much for the details. I boil down your post to a simple phrase: "Don't leave after October". Good advise.

Thanks.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

October in Annapolis

Post by Jim Davis »

Sea Hunt

The mass exodus from here is about the same time the Boat Show closes. Much later and you run the risk of getting real cold (for a Florida resident - down right frigid). While most of the time it isn't bad there is always a chance of "white stuff" or frost by 1 November.

I like leaving here mid October and taking my time during the trip. Andy, myself and others in this thread have already given you your reading assignment and we will be chiming in with helpful hints as you get closer to "whatever date".

One I'll give you now so you have plenty of time to forget it. While you are running the ditch have your GPS set for statute miles and put the location of the next bridge in as a waypoint. Have the GPS set to give you your ETA and adjust your speed to have your arrival five to ten minutes before the scheduled opening (Skipper Bob gives the schedule and Lat/Lon). This will reduce the milling around that you have to do waiting while in a gaggle of boats with current and wind adding to the excitement. It helps to start out fast for a while then slow down for the last part of the run.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

I appreciate everyone's responses and suggestions, etc. To avoid unnecessarily wasting the valuable time of posters, I would like to end this thread - at least as to my posted question. I have my answer.

Based on the recommendations received, if I am fortunate to acquire care and custody of a CD 25D (or possibly a CD 27) in the northeast in Sep/early Oct I will either leave her on the hard until Spring and then transit the ICW (only with experienced help) or hire a commercial transport to Miami. As a few of my friends fondly and accurately remind me, I am indeed a rookie (but hopefully not a glaring exception to the phrase "Rookies are People Too" :D ). I do not yet have the skills to transit the ICW in late Fall/Winter.

Dick, Andy, Melissa and Jim - thank you very much for taking the time to offer your thoughts and recommendations. It is wise counsel and I am very grateful for your time in posting.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097