Boards

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mexsailor

Boards

Post by mexsailor »

Probably a silly question but here goes.
What's the best way to secure the drop boards in the companionway?
I had thought of slide bolts but really don't want to drill holes in the companionway frame. The PO had something attached to all three boards on their port side that had been attached with two small screws about 1 1/4" apart vertically. Padeyes and Bungee cords, maybe?
He did say he had gotten pooped once or twice coming down from AK but didn't give more info and I failed to ask at the time.
Any suggestions?
Or do you always slide the top closed and put a lock through it to secure them in. I was hoping I could remount my swing arm for the Lowrance so it would be visible where the top board goes but that would leave the bottom two able to slide out. Suggestions?
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Could you fabricate another top drop board and put a window in it for your equipment? You could either leave the window open or you might even consider using plexiglass in the window.
Seajunkie
mexsailor

Idea.....

Post by mexsailor »

Now that's a great idea...Think I'll look into that one....
Thanks a lot!
mexsailor
sv "Gladys Erzella"
1977 CD25, Hull #541
San Diego Bay
J D

Post by J D »

I did this and I have sure enjoyed the light inside while still having the weather outside. I used the two bottom wash boards as a template to built one the size of the two, and installed a large lexan window in it. also built one with a screen for fresh air days. It's extra stuff to find a place to store but nice to use.

The original question, and not dumb at all, has been on my mind as well. I think I want to find a way to secure the sliding hatch through the top wash board in some way that it can be released from either side. Like you I would not want them to float away at the worst possible moment.
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Securing Drop Hatch

Post by Sea Owl »

Mex;

Have envied your boat - great pictures and excellent work!

Just an idea - kind of like the old 'locks' on windows - how about drilling a hole parallel to the top edge of the drop board and then to 'lock' it in place, insert a bolt or pin (or even a shortened nail) long enough to overlap the drop board. Unlocking would only require pulling the pin....

.....thinking on it, maybe drill a hole more on the inside top edge, and have a sliding bolt affixed to the top of the drop board that you could easily slide in and out of the hole to 'lock' the boards in place - either from outside or inside.

Again, nice boat! Of course, since it's a 25, it has to be! :wink:
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of my top drop board. The plan is to install cleats on the inside and outside of the companionway. A light line could then be cleated over the top of any of the drop boards to hold them in place. when all of the drop boards are in place the line would be lead through the little hole in the top board and cleated fast so the hatch could be slid closed. The fact that the line is cleated on both sides is significant in that it allows you to release the restraint from either inside or outside of the cabin. The slide bolts are great but don't do you much good if you are inside of the boat. The other thing I like about this arrangement is that there is no extra hardware on the drop boards to scratch up the varnish. I have installed a 4" dead lite in the top drop board so I can see out the back. I was also pooped a couple of times without the boards in place. Even with the bridge deck some water sloshed into the cabin. If conditions are such that you could imagine being pooped a couple of drop boards will help out alot.

May all the seas stay outside your cabin. Steve.
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

Steve,

I have been thinking about doing pretty much exactly what you describe. When you get done with this project, could you post some photos?

If my memory serves me right, our top board already has a small hole in it, so maybe the PO did something like this. But there are no cleats for it.

In a similar vein: I have a piece of small line with a small shackle attached to the end, hanging from the eye part of the hasp on each cockpit locker. When the padlock is not on, the shackle secures the lid. If the boat goes over on its side, they won't open up like giant gulping mouths. When you need to get into the locker, the shackle hangs there and does not get lost or head for the cockpit drains.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

companionway boards

Post by Shipscarver »

GREAT IDEAS!
But,please post some photo's so I don't follow up on them backwards!
Thanks.
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Dean, I have little brass clips on the cockpit lockers to serve that same purpose. The lanyard is also the correct length so that when the cockpit is open they can be clipped to a life line. It is convenient if you are rummaging around in there not to have to worry about the lid falling on your fingers. It is essential if you are actually climbing in there to have them clipped open.

It's all the little things that count, Steve.