Teak Coaming Template/Measurements

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

lenwalker
Cape Dory 27, Port Washington WI

Post by lenwalker »

I'm moving on to some winter restoration projects and could use some help with replacement of the missing teak coaming on my '81 CD25, Hejira.

I've found a local source for the lumber (yikes!), but need some help with measurements. Some CD25s seem to have a straight linear line that decreases toward stern, others appear to have a curve to the coaming that reflects the line of the toerail.

Has anyone recently replaced the coaming on you boat?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Ron M.

take your time

Post by Ron M. »

I did this project a few years ago. I had the originals but they were in sad shape. You might want to make a template out of plywood to get things fitted properly.
I glued mine up to get the 11" width necessary using biscuits and resorcinol. The cost of 12" wide teak was nuts so I purchased 6" @ 16.00/bd. ft.
You will need to ' spring ' the boards into place after cutting the notches.
I did one side at a time. Using a couple of 2x4's across the cockpit. I determined the location of the first and last screw. I used machine screws with fender washers and ny-locs. Once these are located and secured temporarily spring the combing again to get the location of the remaining fasteners. Keep in mind, the geometry changes as the the board springs so it's best to take these steps and get it right.
I used longer fasteners for the locations that required the most bend. There may be some backcutting needed near the notches.
________
Ford festiva history
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Hello Len,
I have a 1975 CD 25 and would be happy to trace out a
pattern for a fellow CD 25 skipper.
Port or starboard?
Bmail me a send to address.
Dick