CD 27 sleeping arrangements

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

George Hare

CD 27 sleeping arrangements

Post by George Hare »

Has anyone developed a beam to beam berth on a CD 27? If so, how did you arrange the supports?
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Not on the CD-27 but on my CD-30 we have created a large berth. The port side settee pulls out to supposedly form a double. We do that then add inserts that have cleats to slip over the lips on the front of the settees. This makes the entire area, one large berth. We can still stand in the galley at the foot of the companion way or in the head area. Everything else is available for sleeping. We usually slide the cushions to the center and that gives you lots of room for anything else you want to have available outboard of the bedding. When not in use the inserts get stored under the starboard side settee. We have removed the cushions from the vee berth and use that area only for stowage. It makes for a pretty comfy nights sleep, Steve.
SurryMark

Post by SurryMark »

Here's my plan for a CD27 – still just a plan:
As Sandy D suggested in another thread, temporarily take out the forward post on the table and rotate the table top on the forward post, putting it over the port bunk, parallel to the bulkhead, and held up by something stuffed under it.
Rig some flat supports between the two bunks, making them small enough to stow under the port and starboard cushions.
Use the two main cabin cushions side to side, far enough forward to leave standing room at the galley.
Use the V-berth space for storage, as neat as I can make it. In the rare cases when more than two will sleep aboard, we'll just put the forward cushions back.
I'm sure there will be some workarounds, but this may do the trick. It also will save me from re-cushioning the forward cushions right now because the cushions are about the only tatty part of the boat.
Anyone see any big flaws here?
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

You have it pretty well nailed. We keep a therma-rest camping pad in the vee berth in case anyone wants to sleep over. They are comfortable and roll up to a very compact size. You can also use them in the cockpit if you want to sleep outside. We now have only the settee seat cushions to worry about. I got rid of the seat backs and their cushions. We now have a whole mess of fun and versatile throw pillows instead. I am thinking about making up some fitted cushion covers to vary the 80s plaid look. I believe they could be made up with upolstery fabric much like a fitted sheet. We would keep the original covers but cover them with an additional cover that could be easily taken home an washed. we are definitely not missing our vee berth cushions, Steve.