Parting-out then disposing of a CD30 [query]

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Aaron Headly

Parting-out then disposing of a CD30 [query]

Post by Aaron Headly »

On January 3rd, this sad Ike-damaged CD30 will be up for auction on eBay (no reserve):

http://usauctions.com/8495-1979-30ft-ca ... ding-.aspx

It's tempting to contemplate buying it cheap, renting a truck, and picking it clean of all salvageable parts.

There's a catch, though: What happens to the worthless bits left over?

Anyone have any idea of how to arrange the (legal!) disposal of a useless hull?

Thanks,

Aaron
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

Can't you just take it to the dump?

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

I think that you would have to remove any hazardous materials, but I would think that you could rent a dumpster and put it in! In fact, have the yard put the boat in the dumpster right from the start and ship it to your house in the dumpster. Just take the things that are of value and have them haul the rest away. You are not allowed to burn things like this. If you were building a boat from a bare hull this could be a real deal. Keep in mind that there is a good sized piece of lead in the keel that is worth money as well, but cleaning the chunks of lead off and transporting them to someone who could use them could cost more than they are worth. There could be a number of good items in this boat, but what is your time worth? You could easily spend a months worth of spare time disassembling things. If you want to sell them you have to advertise, negotiate, package and ship them. If you just need some items for your boat I would guess that it is just plain cheaper to buy them. It is a shame to see a boat like this.

Matt
Aaron Headly

I hadn't even though about the ballast.

Post by Aaron Headly »

Let's see, 4,000 pounds of lead, times the spot price of 60 cents a pound....

The ballast alone is potentially worth $2,400. Oh, my.
Tod M

I bought a keel off a boat a few years back....

Post by Tod M »

It was a fin keel from an old racer about the size of a J22. Weighed several hundred pounds (700?). I cut it off the boat with a chainsaw (went through several chains; fiberglass dulls a chain VERY quickly) and hauled it home on a borrowed trailer. Cost me $50.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Our marina crunches up the occasional derelict boat. It is almost like they are sending a message to other owners that if you don't pay your yard bills, your boat could be next. It is sad that they salvage nothing! They pull the fuel tanks and sometimes the engines then a backhoe just crunches em up and deposits the bits in a 30 yard dumpster. A CD-30 would easily fit in one dumpster and I have rented them for around $500.00 with tipping fees.

There was a guy somewhere on the net that bought a boat on a trailer, for the trailer. I believe he chopped it up with chain saws and or a sawsall. He left the lead right on the trailer and drove it to the metal dealer if I recall correctly.

Lots of work to disassemble a boat. If you could sell everything you might do okay. I would like to get dibs on the boats that are being crunched anyway.

If you do decide to pursue this project there are a couple of things I could use.

I have too many projects and not enough time these days but I can see the appeal of such a project.

Best of luck if you decide to go for it, Steve.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

They make carbide tipped saw chains that hold up a lot longer. Lots of $$$ originaly and hitting seel will do them in. You could gut glass for a long time with one.

Lots of personal protection, please.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Cutting up a boat is a LOT of work!

Post by bhartley »

The Final Demise of the Minnow

The Minnow (an O'Day 27 sunk in Hugo) was purchased for $100 to get the trailer out from underneath the boat. We salvaged everything possible and cut up the hull and hauled 3 dump trucks worth to the local Construction & Demolition land fill. They would actually have taken the boat whole, but we wanted the keel lead.

Even though the boat was full of salable goodies and things we were able to use on our many boats, I could not possibly recommend this as a way to make money or have fun. This boat was an hour from us and already on a trailer and $100. Yes, we sold lots of parts for good money and the lead in the keel and had free access to a dump truck, but if you figure in labor... yikes!

The weapon of choice was a sawsall with carbide blades (took three). The metal recyclers require the lead be free and clear of all epoxy, fiberglass, etc. This was a major PITA as you can't just let it fall over without doing real damage to the trailer (and you'd better not just drop it on the ground and think you can get it onto a trailer to get it to the recycler. 2,000 lbs of lead in the keel.

We had the "luxury" of having the boat on a good trailer (needed new tires and new bearings before we could move it. The boat was very precariously perched on the trailer and it was a slow drive. We were able to cut it up in our own yard (yes, we live in the country) with noone questioning what we were doing. It took 4 days start to finish.

Think twice...
chase

concrete saw?

Post by chase »

Wonder how this would work, perhaps with diamond wheel?

Chase
GLutzow

Don't be hasty

Post by GLutzow »

I, as well as several others, have taken Cape Dory's in seriously sad shape and restored them. MY CD25 was a hurricane salvage boat that had actually sunk. Two years later, and more than a few labor hours, she is happily riding on a mooring in Sarasota Bay. My purchase price...$600.00.

Looking at the images, without actually surveying the ship, a lot of the clutter is just that, clutter. There doesn't appear to be any hull breach just a damaged rudder. She seems to be well equipped and would probably make an enterprising, and ambitious person, a great boat.

For you "Yankee" sailors here is that great winter project you have been dreaming about.

Now if I could just convince the wife that I really need another project boat and gutting the front bathroom really isn't necessary............

My two cents worth.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Ocean Girl
Location: 1981 Cape Dory 30 cutter, located at Waterford Harbor, Clear lake, Texas

Munin

Post by Ocean Girl »

I agree with GLutzow I think Munin is saveable. The owner said she had zero green water in her so she is pretty dry, The deck to hull doesn't look beyond repair, Keel looks good. I'm not volunteering mind you, I already have a fixer-upper.
It just breaks my heart to think of scraping any boat let alone a CD.

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom.
----Jack Sparrow

Erika
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
http://oceangirlcd30.blogspot.com/