Typhoon Toe Rails / Rub Rails

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mcoop

Typhoon Toe Rails / Rub Rails

Post by mcoop »

Help.....
Am in the process of restoring a '78 Ty and the teak rubrails have been "cleaned" away to be so thin and worn as to be virtually unsalvageable. Have looked thru past posts for a source to supply the rubrails, but it looks like the last activity was about 2-3 years ago and I'm not having any luck with sources referenced back then.
Anyone have a current source for these rails?
MC
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi mcoop,

Did the list in the archives include Carlton McClendon Rare Wood and Veneers, in Atlanta, Ga?

Good luck in your search,
O J
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

I just priced a 18' 3" piece of teak 1" x 4" for that task. My local source quoted me a price just under $2000 for top grade (no knots) material.
Then I would have to saw the plank into pieces (1" x3/4") for the toe rail and (3/4" x3/4") for the rub rail.

Iron wood was considered as a cheaper alternative. I also considered Cypress but could not find any old growth wood in the proper length. New growth cypress is to soft and degrades to easily. A much cheaper alternative to consider is to splice together shorter pieces with finger joints.
Have A Nice Day
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Rail replacements

Post by bhartley »

I paid just over $200 for all of the teak for Miranda and that included all new toe rails and rubrails. My teak came from Carlton Mclendon and they ripped it to 1" widths for me. You need to buy 10' pieces and just scarf them together. You will pay a massive premium for 18' pieces for no reason. Carlton ships.

If I can make a good scarf joint, anyone can! I made a very simple jig and used a power plane and sander.
Jerry Albright
B Plan,
Mobile, Al

Toe / Rub rails

Post by Jerry Albright »

You may want to contact Riverside Lumber in New Orleans, La. they have Teak, Mahogany and Iroko ( Ironwood ) A friend of mine bought enough Mahogany to replace his Combing Boards as well as his toe rails for about $350.
Teak was about twice the price of Mahogany, and Iroko was about half the price of Mahogany. Was very inpressed with the stock of Iroko, they had 4/4 planks 16"-18" wide X 20' long. Mahogany and teak was limited to 10'-12' lengths.

Jerry Albright
Mobile, Al.
CD30 C
Ron M.

Kinda pricey.....

Post by Ron M. »

The archives contain some good information on this subject.
I last bought some teak this past spring @ 18.00/BF fas , Thai or Burma.....the good stuff. Stay away from plantation grown, not suitable for this application.
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a well made scarf, now finger joints ? they have NO place on a vessel.......or a yacht.
Toe and rub rails are not hard to make with access to basic hand tools and a table saw.
________
M5 Transmission
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Bett
Member # 1160

I recently replace a rub-rail on Sostenuto

Post by Bruce Bett »

I recently replaced a rub-rail on Sostenuto (CD 25 #496), just before selling her. I bought some 1" stock at a local lumber yard. I ripped it to width on a table saw. Dadoed a 1/2" grove in the backside to accommodate the bedding compound, and routed a bull nose on the other side with two passes of the router using a standard cove bit. The result was very close to the the original. As Ron suggested this is a fairly simple procedure for an amateur woodworker. Public Lumber in Detroit is currently selling Burma Teak $3.17/running foot for 1"x 2" or $19.00/board foot.

Hope this helps

Bruce