Intro to the Community

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mcoop

Intro to the Community

Post by mcoop »

G'Day All,

Just saying hello and introducing myself to the CD community.

Newly acquired 1978 Typhoon (#1478) which has been sitting in (little used and neglected condition) bareboat charter in the Florida Keys. This is a labor of love refurb project.

For info, my wife and I live in the Keys and have been around boats all adult life. Although not a sailing novice (several SORC and MORC adventures years ago), have spent time mostly around power boats. Coast Guard 100 ton license. Have completely rebuilt / refurb'd several boats (including 4 Bertrams from 28" to 35'), but this is my first shot at a sailboat project.

Looking forward to bringing this pretty lady back to condition that she deserves; will post updates on project and (probably) be reaching out for advice from you more experienced CD'ers.

MC
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

New Member - Welcome

Post by Oswego John »

Mcoop,

Welcome aboard. New members are the lifeblood of the sailing organization.

Again, a hearty welcome.

O J
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Welcome

Post by Ned Crockett »

I, too, would like to welcome you. There are quite a few Ty owners who are active on this board and will be anxious to read your progress reports - along with pictures if possible. I purchased Ladybug in June, 2007. She needed much attention but I now have a Ty that I am proud to own, sail, and race. If you would like to see photos of Ladybug, you will find them on my previous posts. Good luck with your project and don't hesitate to post questions here. You will receive help in the form of first hand experiences. It appears that the two weakest parts of a Ty Weekender are the rudder (delamination) and cabin top under the mast (sags). Ladybug sports a stainless steel rudder and the cabin top is in need of attention as the shroud turnbuckles are at max tightness and the rigging is still too lose. I plan to use an expansion post as a remedy rather than cutting out and replacing the top of the cabin.
"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."