Oil Change Blues

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Oil Change Blues

Post by cbrenton »

Changed the oil in "Carol Anne" before haul-out last Saturday. Bought a new Jabsco Flat Tank Oil Changer Model #17860 for the job. That thing wouldn't even suck water, let alone oil. Used a hand pump that I had on board and finally got the oil out after two hours of pumping. Added some entirely new words to the English language during the process, which unfortunately, I cannot share in this venue. My question is, does anyone have an oil change pump that they really like?

Charlie Brenton
"Carol Anne"
CD 33
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Oil Change Blues

Post by Carter Brey »

cbrenton wrote:Changed the oil in "Carol Anne" before haul-out last Saturday. Bought a new Jabsco Flat Tank Oil Changer Model #17860 for the job. That thing wouldn't even suck water, let alone oil. Used a hand pump that I had on board and finally got the oil out after two hours of pumping. Added some entirely new words to the English language during the process, which unfortunately, I cannot share in this venue. My question is, does anyone have an oil change pump that they really like?

Charlie Brenton
"Carol Anne"
CD 33
Charlie,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I use a Tempo Oil Boy and it works fine. In fact I use it for a number of fluid extraction purposes; it's quite versatile.

Best regards,
Carter Brey
Sabre 28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
City Island, NY
rtbates

yup

Post by rtbates »

I use one of these. A few pump strokes creates a vacuum in the tank and the rest is on auto pilot provided the intake hose is below the oil level. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=170
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

I concurr with Rtbates - mostly

Post by Warren S »

I use the same device. Just charge is with a few strokes and presto it draws the rest out all on its own. It comes with a variety of hoses that I found easy to adapt p the existing engine pumpout hose (not the dipstick hole).

However: i looked like you should be able to set the pump aside with oil in it until you can make it to the recycling center, but be careful... there is now a nice large black stain on the garage floor.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Ed Haley

The secret is ....

Post by Ed Haley »

to have the engine oil very warm before pumping. Then the pump can work well under reduced viscosity. But it still is necessary to do a lot of pumping. It's just easier to pump.
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

I bought a Pela 2000 from Wholesale Marine for approx. $24.95

I was very satisfied they way it worked. The system comes with a very long coated wire dipstick connected to clear tubing. The pump creates a vacuum in the container which removes the oil from the pan. The container itself is a very rigid plastic. Very easy to setup and dispose of used oil. I raised the tubing at home for a day or two to let the used oil drain into the container. I then drained the oil into another container for disposal at our local oil recycle depot. Cleaning out the pump container was very easy.

Even though the oil could have been warmer it did quickly remove the oil. Albeit my monster YSM8 only holds 2 quarts. I would give this a very big 2 thumbs up.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/pc/PEL-P ... acity.html
bottomscraper

Tempo Oil Boy

Post by bottomscraper »

I also use the Tempo Oil Boy (which looks just like the MOELLER). It takes about 15 minutes for me to drain the oil (about 4 qts on my Perkins) but I only pump it a few times every 3 or 4 minutes and find something else to do. You don't need to pump all the time, it creates a vacuum and holds it.

I did have a "Marina Pro Oil Changer" which worked great about two times then no longer pumped. The repair parts were almost as much as a new one.

Getting the oil warm helps. If the Jabsco 17860 won't even pump water it must be defective. I would return it!

Also check out this old thread:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... ro&start=0
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
mike ritenour

MOELLER

Post by mike ritenour »

I have two of these extractors and love them.

The company is also very responsive to questions and product quality.

Rit
ronkberg

Free oil sucker........

Post by ronkberg »

Charlie, if you want to try another oil vacuum system, I will offer one of these. I have had it for many years and bought it to change oil on a 1959 Porsche I had planned to restore. Worked good the one time I used it but it sat around so long that the plastic hose dried up and fell apart. I had another CD member who wanted it but then found one closer to home. I will give it to you or anyone else who responds. I live close to Portland, ME and prefer not to ship.

Ron

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10101
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

A Jabsco Porta-Quick Pump came with Mariah when I purchased her.
I found that if the oil is too hot, the plastic hose gets soft and tends to collapse there by blocking the flow. I usually wait about a hour for the engine to cool down and the oil is just warm. It seems to get all the oil out of the crankcase and is great for doing the tranny as well. You can reverse the flow and drain the waste oil tank into a milk jug for disposal. It makes a potentially messy job a snap. I highly recommend it.

Sail on

John Danicic
CD 36 -Mariah- #124
Lake Superior
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

ANd on a parallel topic

Post by Warren S »

I purchased this sweet little number that is designed to handle fuels. It's dual action and empties our fuel tank for cleaning in no time flat (including much of the sludge).

http://www.gemplers.com/product/7722/Hand-Siphon-Pump
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
mgphl52

Re: ANd on a parallel topic

Post by mgphl52 »

Warren S wrote:I purchased this sweet little number that is designed to handle fuels. It's dual action and empties our fuel tank for cleaning in no time flat (including much of the sludge).

http://www.gemplers.com/product/7722/Hand-Siphon-Pump
That looks like a very handy pump to have on board.
But, will the 9/16ths tubing fit into an MD7A's dipstick tube???
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Gempler's pump

Post by Warren S »

Actually, I bought it fir the fuel only, but might try clamping a smaller diameter in the suction end in order to fit the dipstick hole. I suspect this should handle the thin (i.e. hot) crank case oil without a problem.
cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Thanks

Post by cbrenton »

Thanks for all the great ideas and comments. As always the board is a treasure

Charlie
Al Levesque

Hot or cold?

Post by Al Levesque »

I've always wondered if it's best to drain hot oil or wait until more of it has run down into the crankcase. This would mean the oil has cooled. I have never found it difficult to drain cold oil. It seems more convenient to change the oil filter too when the engine is cold.