Investing in CD's

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Wayne Grenier

Investing in CD's

Post by Wayne Grenier »

I have always been told that boats were a poor investment-well guess what? stocks are not much better! nothing wrong with having a"CD" in your portfolio is there? at least you can use it and enjoy yourself and you can't put a price on that!
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

CD Investment?

Post by Ned Crockett »

Wayne:

I'm on the same page as you -- while my little LADYBUG isn't worth much in terms of $$, it provides so much pleasure that it is invaluable to me at my stage of life. As the stock market (and my retirement portfolio) tank, the "value" of my CD keeps growing. Can't get a better investment than that! Life is good!
"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."
BillyO

CD investing

Post by BillyO »

I trust that you are referring to Cape Dory not A certificate of deposit.
A funny thing happened yesterday--I emailed an old college friend
who has become one of the nation's biggest Washington insider attorneys.
I mentioned to him that I was sailing on Friday and Saturday-- did he want to fly in and go with me.
His reply was that he owns a 34' Hunter on the Chessapeake that he never has time for.
This week end he will be in Amarillo.
I'll be on Lake Winnipesaukee
He has lost a fortune last week
I lost also.
I'm saling
He's working 7 days a week.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

When the bank forecloses your house, you move onto your Cape Dory. Life could be worse.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dixon Hemphill

Investment

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

When I cashed my GE stock after 12 years with the company way back in the 1960's I sometimes think that may have been a bad idea. But now that I have invested in a CD I look forward not only to making improvements on the boat but also sailing as often as possible. My only regret is that I didn't buy the boat many years ago.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Troy Scott

CDs as investments

Post by Troy Scott »

Sometimes fun things are really good investments. Consider that a nice but 40 year old Pilot 35 will sell for several times what it cost new, after having provided a LOT of fun along the way. If we care for our Cape Dorys, they will eventually appreciate, especially if hurricanes continue to diminish the fleet!

I've actually made money on several Cape Dory swaps. When I was younger I would buy a sound "fixer-upper" and sail it a lot, taking breaks to clean, paint and varnish. I would always sell the boat for several thousand more than I paid for it.
Regards,
Troy Scott
BillyO

Investing--CD's

Post by BillyO »

I think that we all have hit upon a common theme-- objects that have inherent quality or value tend to maintain value better than
objects built with a bottom line on a P and L statement as the prime consideration
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Investing--CD's

Post by Neil Gordon »

BillyO wrote:I think that we all have hit upon a common theme-- objects that have inherent quality or value tend to maintain value better than objects built with a bottom line on a P and L statement as the prime consideration
Yes, and our boats were fortunately made before the accountants got deeply involved in boat building.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
BillyO

CD as investment

Post by BillyO »

Most beautiful sailing today that I can remember. Put a dollar sign on that.
Troy Scott

$ailing, $ailing, $ailing

Post by Troy Scott »

$ailing
Regards,
Troy Scott