CD 30 vs CD 30b

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John B
Hull #410
Buffalo New York

CD 30 vs CD 30b

Post by John B »

My wife has convinced me that we and the 2 kids have outgrown our beloved CD25 "classic girl."

I am beginning to look around and seem to like the CD 30's.

How does the 30 differ from the 30b?

Thanks.

John
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

I can tell you the big picture stuff:

The 30 has no quarter berth. The 30B has a quarter berth.

The 30 has no dedicated chart table. The 30B has chart table.

The 30 has a v-berth and traditional head forward of the main salon bulkhead. The 30B has a huge head that takes up the entire forepeak.

I think some of the 30Bs have a dinette and settee and some have opposing settees.

Post by Guest »

We have a CD30 with a V berth forward. We also have 2 kids aged 7 and 4. The forecabin is great for them - they can be put to bed and we can enjoy the maincabin for a while before turning in. The head is a bit tight but if you're used to a CD25 this should be no problem. We do have a fitted chart table which extends out over the forward side of the starboard galley bulkhead. I do miss the quarterbirth for passagemaking mind you.

Regards
chase

family of four

Post by chase »

John,

We're also a family of four and we typically give the v-berth to the kids. I've always thought the b plan would make a great boat for a couple.

As far as the quarter berth, I would not want to give up ANY space in the galley as it is. For passagemaking, you can use lee cloths with settees or pull a cushion into the sole.

There's a 30b on yachtworld right now...

Chase
Bob Ohler

John... check your private messages!

Post by Bob Ohler »

John, check your private messages and call me.
Bob Ohler CD30 #335 B Plan layout
Jacksail
Pelican Moon Hull #360
Atlantic Highlands NJ

CD 30 or 30 B

Post by Jacksail »

I own a 86 B option and it is the only way I would have gone.
The absoulute biggest advantage to the B is engine access. I can get to everything back there with little problem. Access from the companionway, starboard pilot berth and port lazarette.

And yes the head is incredible.
My boat is the one listed on Yachtworld.
I am in NJ and the boat is going at a bargain price.
Contact me for details
Jack Flannery
Jacksail2@comcast.net
732 233 0559
bottomscraper

Online brochure shows both layouts

Post by bottomscraper »

Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: CD 30 vs CD 30b

Post by Duncan »

John B wrote:My wife has convinced me that we and the 2 kids have outgrown our beloved CD25 "classic girl."

I am beginning to look around and seem to like the CD 30's.

How does the 30 differ from the 30b?

Thanks.

John
My kids are older, but I think that I might be inclined to look at the CD 33 as a family boat vs. the CD 30. Nothing wrong with the 30, but it seems to me that a real sitdown nav station and a quarterberth, like in the CD 33, are worth having.

The 30 B does have these, but it adds the nav station and the quarterberth at the expense of a v-berth. That means four people sleeping in the cabin (one double and two singles).

Could be a bit tight, and the extra capability, space and flexibility of the CD 33 might be a more comfortable fit?