MUSHROOM OR FLUSH thru hulls?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

MUSHROOM OR FLUSH thru hulls?

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks,

Should I bother to swap out my mushroom through-hulls for flush ones when I reinstall all the seacocks in my CD36? Maybe they would decrease drag a little. Perhaps they are more trouble than they are worth? If I should make this change, where do I find the large countersink I would obviously need?
Regards,
Troy Scott
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

The normal mushroom through-hulls didn't seem to slow Mahalo down against a J-42 on Saturday. ;-) I think even they couldn't believe it. That was pointing, with no staysail, 15 knots apparent.

Seriously, I don't think it's worth it. I personally wouldn't take more chunks out of my hull I didn't need to.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Troy Scott

mushroom or not

Post by Troy Scott »

Melissa,

Good to hear.
Regards,
Troy Scott
David Perry

Post by David Perry »

Troy, the flush thru-hulls are used when a hull is specifically molded with flush thru-hulls in mind. Thus the laminate is built up on the inside in the area. If you decide to use them you should do the same. The small amount of drag of the regular thru-hulls is probably not worth the effort. (Besides, non-standard Cape Dory's are harder to sell !)