Teak refinishing in middle Chesapeake?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

drb9

Teak refinishing in middle Chesapeake?

Post by drb9 »

I'm ready to admit defeat and acknowledge that I have neither the time nor inclination in this heat to strip and refinish my exterior teak. Is anyone familiar with the "Teak Doctor," Peter Mitchell, out of the Baltimore/Annapolis area? He apparently thinks my teak needs to be refinished too, because he left his card in my cockpit recently. Any other recommendations in the area (I'm at Herrington Harbour South)?

Also, do you have any idea for a ballpark figure to do this kind of work? Maybe two-thirds of the old Cetol is gone already, with the remaining third still to be removed. I think I would want it replaced with any of the Cetol/Armada/WestMarine WoodPro products.
Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

Post by Will Wheatley »

Hi Drb9
A few thoughts, I'm pretty sure that Cetol and West Marine woodpro products are the same. Not sure about Armada.

My uncle uses Wood Pro inside and Cetol outside. I have used Cetol in the past with excellent results and it lasted 3-4 years when applied correctly.

Applying Cetol correctly is a challenge. It goes on easy and cleans up if you do it right away but the instructions on the label indicate that it should not be applied in direct sunlight and between temps of 70 to 95 F. the temp issue should not be a problem usually but direct sunlight is hard to get around. Also two coats is good three but no more worked for me, however the instructions say to let 24 hours between coats. This means between sanding cleaning and covering the areas that you are working on you are looking at at least four days of work if you can cover the whole boat at once.

When I did my boat 5 years ago it was on the hard with the mast down. This made it easy to tent the boat with a tarp and I was able to do the whole thing in a week. I met a guy at my marina who applied three coats of Cetol on one sunny day and frankly it looked awful.

Call the teak Dr. and get a price and then call around to see who else does this and what products they prefer. Also do a search on this board for Cetol and Varnish and you will find a wealth of info( I just finished this myself since my teak also needs work again.).

I have always done my own work but when I have checked prices for professional work I usually find the time to do it myself. That said you may find it worth the boat bucks to just get it done. I would call The marinas in the area to see who they reccomend also look for ads in Spin Sheet Magazine.

For my part I'm going to wait till fall and do it when she gets hauled out. I will have to put up with a less than ideal appearance till then but she wil sail the same regardless.

Happy Sailoring~~~~/)~~~~
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD
Bob Ohler

DRB check your private messages.

Post by Bob Ohler »

Check for a pm from me.

rbo