what size roller furling genoa for CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

scottfree

what size roller furling genoa for CD25

Post by scottfree »

Hi,
Recently purchased a CD25 and am installing a roller furling. Having a new genoa made and was wondering if anyone had any input into the best size for that boat. 135% or 150%. Boat has been covered up in a barn here in Wisconsin for many years and is in pretty pristine shape. Splashing her on the 20th of this month. Gotta love a Cape Dory!
Thanks, Scott
Carl Thunberg

I was happy with a 135

Post by Carl Thunberg »

My old CD25 had a 135 and I was very happy with it. When I was in light air I used a cruising spinnaker anyway, so I never felt the need for a 150. I never had roller furling. Remember, the bigger the headsail, the more it obstructs your view and the more important it is to steer from the leeward side of the boat, and the more important it is to have another set of eyes who can see through your blind spot. I hope this helps. Consider it one data point.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
scottfree

thanks!

Post by scottfree »

Appreciate the input. I'm gonna go with the 135.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

I'd go with a 150

Post by trapper »

Hi Scott,

I was really impressed with how much weather my CD22 could handle without reefing the main so long as I used a jib or storm sail. I think it was important not to have too much power up front. That said, if I had roller furling-which I did not-- I would get the 150 for those very light air days. When you don't need it--its just rolled up--but when you need it --you have it.

I now have a 25D also without roller furling (I'll fix that soon). She has only 2 head sails-- a storm jib (about a 95 I think) and a 150. I will probably go ahead and get roller furling before next season and have the 150 converted. Until then, I'll have to make do.
Tracuman
Location: Callipygian 1982 Cape Dory 25D Hull #9 Treasure Island Fla

Opinions vary

Post by Tracuman »

I just installed a Profurl c290 on my CD25D and one of my dock mates suggested I use just 100 on the headsail. He said that on his boat, a Morgan 37, he really couldn't handle more sail than that (which is due to the overall size of the boat). But when I took my two headsails into the sail maker, he reminded me that in our summer air here in Florida, I'd probably want to have the extra, so we compromised and cut down the ginny to 135. I also have a 100 that in the fall I'll have cut to fit the furler which will probably make it about 85 or 90 and I can use that in the windy days of winter that we can still get some good days in on the water.
It's not what you have, but what you do with it that counts.
mgphl52

It's always a compromise...

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Scott,

First, congrats on getting that CD25 out of the barn!

But back on the subject, each CD model has its own characteristics, if you haven't sailed her much, I would highly suggest you do that first. The Typhoons that I owned would handle a 150 & a reef beautifully, but they were fractional rigs. My CD25s would balance very nicely without the reef but a 110, instead of their 155 when it piped up, but they were mast-head head rigs. KAYLA, our CD28, actually does great with the 135 we had made to replace her aging 145. She is also the only boat I have owned with a furler. As for the "vision" issue previously mentioned, when I had new sails made for my last CD25, I requested that they be designed to include a 6 to 8 inch bridle at the tack so that I could see better. The foot also wouldn't foul as much on the bow pulpit & lifelines when going off the wind (yeah, that was in the first half of my racing years).

Again, Congrats!

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
scottfree

thanks again

Post by scottfree »

I've decided to go with the 135. i have a cruising chute from another boat that will work good. plus she came with a track and a whisper pole.not as concerned with the visibility factor as much as i am the shape the genny will keep when partially furled. will post some pics after i get her on the water. this is a really good board and i appreciate the input. thanks!!
mgphl52

Have the luff padded too

Post by mgphl52 »

Make sure the sail maker pads the luff also. This will greatly assist in maintaining a good shape when sailing with the jib partially furled. They generally specify that shape will 'hold' for about 10% being furled. We have frequently sailed with far more than that furled! Sometimes I even use the lazy sheet to tweak the jib clew inboard when trying to claw to windward in tight areas. Since you also have a drifter for light air, I suspect you will be very happy with the 135.

Enjoy,

-michael
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL
oldragbaggers

Post by oldragbaggers »

We've used 2 approaches to the vision problem. We had a vinyl window put in one of our genoas and that worked very nicely. We had another one on a pennant to get it up off the deck so we could see under it. That worked just as well.
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
mgphl52

vinyl window vs pennant

Post by mgphl52 »

My sail maker said he could do the window but advised against it due to different stretch characteristics and aging properties. With KAYLA, it's not an issue since the ProFurl unit is higher.

-michael
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
Niceville FL